Playoff Progress: Ranking the NBA Conference Semifinalists

Photo by Unsplash

In the NBA conference semifinals, I break down my rankings and thoughts on the eight teams. From top contenders to surprising underdogs, let’s analyze their strengths and chances in this crucial round of the playoffs.

No.1 Minnesota Timberwolves

At the top of my rankings are the Minnesota Timberwolves, making an extraordinary comeback to playoff contention after a 20-year absence. Their swift 4-0 victory over the Phoenix Suns not only highlighted the brilliance of rising stars like Anthony Edwards and Karl-Anthony Towns but also underscored the depth of their roster. Seasoned veterans like Mike Conley and emerging young talent such as Jaden McDaniels contributed significantly to their success, showcasing a team effort that resonated with fans hungry for postseason glory. With a narrative of redemption fueling their drive after years of playoff disappointment, the Timberwolves’ return promises an exciting and hopeful chapter in their playoff journey. Additionally, Edwards and the Timberwolves have a strong desire for revenge after being knocked out of the playoffs in the past two seasons, including a defeat to the Denver Nuggets in five games last season. Their opening game of the Western Conference semifinals showcased their fearlessness with a resounding 106-99 victory over the Nuggets. This put Denver in an unfamiliar position. Edwards’ dominant performance, scoring 43 points and grabbing 7 rebounds, has left the Nuggets scrambling for a defensive strategy. With the Timberwolves already up 1-0 in the series and their impressive offensive output this postseason, I believe they are positioned as the top team, poised to advance to the next round.

No.2 Denver Nuggets

Following closely behind are the defending champions, the Denver Nuggets, recognized as a premier team in the Western Conference. Led by the incomparable Nikola Jokić, the Nuggets boast an impressive track record, having secured the NBA title in 2022-2023. Jokić’s exceptional postseason performance, averaging 28.2 points, 16.2 rebounds, and 9.8 assists per game, underscores his importance to the team. However, their vulnerability was exposed in game one against the Timberwolves, highlighting the need for improved urgency and physicality. As they adjust their defensive strategy and counter the Timberwolves’ formidable frontcourt trio, led by Towns, Rudy Gobert, and Naz Reid, the Nuggets aim to level the series. Despite this, the Nuggets have a history of performing well in critical moments, making them a serious contender in the playoffs. I believe Denver is one of the best teams at executing down the stretch, so this is why I put them at No. 2. If they evolve their defensive game plan around stopping playmakers like Edwards, they could be a real contender in this series and the finals.

No.3 Boston Celtics

Now, sliding into my third spot, I’ve got the Boston Celtics, fresh off a convincing 4-1 win against the Miami Heat. They’ve got a trio that’s a nightmare for opponents: Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown, and Kristaps Porzingis. Together, they averaged 70.3 points, 21.0 rebounds, and 10.5 assists per game. Even without Porzingis, who’s now sidelined with a calf injury, they’re a formidable force. They showed real growth in handling the Heat series, staying focused and not letting up even after a tough loss in game two. Now, they’re eyeing a showdown with the Cleveland Cavaliers in the Eastern Conference semifinals. I believe the Celtics have the talent and depth to overcome the Cavaliers in this series. This is despite their history of playoff losses against Cleveland. The Celtics’ regular-season success against the Cavaliers and their well-deserved rest before game one provide reasons for optimism. However, they must remain aware of the threats posed by Donovan Mitchell, Jarrett Allen, and Evan Mobley. Without Porzingis, the Celtics will have to strategize effectively on how to handle Mobley and Allen in the paint. While the Cavaliers may snatch a game or two, I believe the Celtics have the potential to emerge victorious if they maintain focus and efficiency. It won’t be a walk in the park, but with their talent and determination, they’ve got a good shot at coming out on top.

No.4 Dallas Mavericks

The Dallas Mavericks secured the No. 4 spot in my playoff power rankings after their impressive performance in the opening round. Surprising many by defeating the Los Angeles Clippers 4-2, the Mavericks showcased their talent and resilience. Led by standout players like Kyrie Irving and Luka Dončić, I believe they demonstrated their ability to compete at the highest level. With a strengthened supporting cast through trade deadline acquisitions like P.J. Washington and Daniel Gafford, and improved defensive efforts, the Mavericks are well-equipped to face the young and formidable OKC [Oklahoma City Thunder] lineup in the next round. When Dončić and Irving consistently succeed in making strategic passes and scoring near the basket, the Mavericks become incredibly difficult for opponents to defeat, as was evident in their matchup against the Clippers. Despite earlier concerns about their defensive performance, the Mavericks made significant improvements towards the end of the regular season. They carried this momentum into the playoffs, demonstrated by their ability to limit the Clippers’ scoring below 95 points in three games. With defense playing a pivotal role in their success, I am confident that if they replicate their performance against the Clippers, the Mavericks have a strong chance of overcoming the formidable OKC lineup and advancing to the Western Conference finals.

No.5 Oklahoma City Thunder

The Oklahoma City Thunder earned the No. 5 spot in my playoff rankings after a strong 4-0 win against the New Orleans Pelicans. Their solid defense, holding the Pelicans to their lowest playoff points per possession in eight years, shows their toughness. The Thunder have a young and promising team that is led by Gilgeous-Alexander and helped by promising rookies like Chet Holmgren and Jalen Williams. However, their next game against the Dallas Mavericks in the Western Conference semifinals will be tough for them. Now, despite their good defense, because either Irving or Dončić was out, the Thunder’s record of 3-1 against Dallas in the regular season might not show how good the Mavericks actually are. With Dort likely defending Dončić and SGA on Irving, along with Williams’ on Jones Jr. and Holmgren’s defensive support at the rim, the Thunder will hopefully have a solid plan to contain the Mavericks’ high-powered offense despite their regular-season record not fully reflecting their potential against Dallas’s dynamic duo. Keeping up with the Mavericks’ strong players like Doncic and Irving will be hard for the Thunder. In addition, I believe the Thunder’s young and inexperienced players might find it tough in the pressure of the playoffs.

No.6 Cleveland Cavaliers

At the No. 6 spot in my playoff rankings are the Cleveland Cavaliers, who clinched a tough Game 7 victory against the Orlando Magic in the first round. Despite struggling on the road, especially in games three and four in Orlando, they managed to pull through. I believe Donovan Mitchell emerged as a key scorer for the Cavaliers, showcasing his ability to score under pressure and from beyond the arc. However, in my eyes, the Cavaliers’ reliance on Mitchell and Darius Garland sometimes stretches their offense thin. Now, they face the Boston Celtics in the Eastern Conference semifinals, where their size and scoring dominance, led by Mitchell and Garland, pose a threat. The health of Jarrett Allen, their key frontcourt player, is a concern after he missed the final games against Orlando due to a rib injury. Without him, the Cavaliers’ paint defense and scoring will suffer. While they acquired shooting talent in the offseason, their reliance on players like Max Strus hasn’t yielded consistent results, especially after the series against Orlando. Despite Mitchell’s elite presence, the Celtics’ overall strength makes them favorites in this series. However, the Cavaliers will need a collective effort to challenge the Celtics, with minimal room for errors if they aim to upset the odds.

No.7 New York Knicks

In my playoff power rankings, the New York Knicks secured the No. 7 spot after their hard-fought victory against the Philadelphia 76ers in the first round, winning 4-2. Despite losing Julius Randle to a season-ending shoulder injury, MVP candidate Brunson stepped up, averaging 35.5 points per game in the playoffs. The Knicks boast a top-10 offense and defense, setting the stage for a showdown against the Indiana Pacers in the Eastern Conference semifinals. With Brunson leading the charge, the Knicks also rely on quality defenders like OG Anunoby to counter opponents like Siakam and Haliburton. However, they must be wary of Haliburton’s shooting ability, which could exploit their defense if left unchecked. Despite challenges, the Knicks have the advantage of home-court dominance and Brunson’s stellar performance, making them favorites in this series. With their recent form and home-court advantage, I strongly believe the Knicks are poised to advance to the next round. 

No.8 Indiana Pacers

The Indiana Pacers find themselves at the bottom of my playoff rankings due primarily to their lack of playoff experience and veteran presence. Their young roster might struggle in high-stakes games, especially in challenging arenas like Madison Square Garden. Despite upsetting the Milwaukee Bucks 4-2, their defense, particularly in the paint, remains a concern. They allow many points inside despite being good shot-blockers. Offensively, I believe the Pacers show promise, with Pascal Siakam and Tyrese Haliburton leading the charge. Siakam’s scoring and Haliburton’s playmaking could trouble defenses, but their defensive weaknesses could overshadow their offensive strengths. While Siakam’s addition has boosted their offense, in my eyes, their defense still remains a liability. Although the Pacers might steal a win or two against the Knicks, I believe their defensive issues could cost them the series. Even though they beat the Knicks in the regular season series, their defensive vulnerabilities could be exploited in the playoffs. Overall, while the Pacers possess obvious talent, I believe their defensive shortcomings might be their downfall against more experienced teams like the Knicks. 

In my playoff rankings, I’ve carefully considered the performances of star players and the overall balance of each team. While some possess undeniable talent and veteran players, others struggle to maintain consistency or lack crucial experience. As the playoffs progress, it will be intriguing to witness how these rankings align with the actual outcomes on the court.