Ideas for those last-minute costumes

­Halloween is a time to show off your efforts, whether you make a costume or purchase a costume. Although making costumes seems to be a popular route for most “penny-pinching” college students. It also seems that finding affordable costumes online is still an option.

One of the most popular costumes this year is a Miley Cyrus replica. Shocker? Not after her MTV Music Awards performance. According to Eonline, a trendy purchase from Amazon.com is the Miley Cyrus foam finger. It seems as though her performance will continue to linger on through Halloween.

Other popular costumes this year include Walking Dead Zombies, Breaking Bad actors, and even Duck Dynasty characters.

Have people drawn the line?

USA Today points out that some costumes have gone too far. For example: Trayvon Martin/George Zimmerman costumes have made a presence this year.

Julianne Hough an actress and singer received some backlash when she dressed in blackface while mimicking the character Crazy Eyes from Orange is the New Black.  Hough has since apologized on Twitter.

If you’re interested in seeing different costumes this year or just looking for ideas, #halloween on Twitter may be of some help.

There are some easy, and cheap DIY costumes making their appearances like Disney Princesses and Princes.

“My friends and I dress up in Do-it-Yourself costumes every year,” said Jazmin Klyce, senior. Last year I was Buzz Lightyear. This year I am going as Princess Aurora and 6 of my friends are other Disney princesses.”

Klyce and her friends are not alone in this trend. College students and young adults have shown more group costume efforts in recent years.

If you’re still struggling to make a last minute costume keep in mind that it’s the simple things that can be the greatest.

For the guys: If you have a red flannel shirt and a roll of paper towels; you can transform into the “Brauny paper towel guy.” You can see where this is going.

For the girls: Make-up can be just the trick. Halloween is the time of year to express yourself in a way that you wouldn’t normally do. Go to the extreme with make-up or take a simple approach. Glitter everywhere, and you can be a fairy.
One of the simplest DIY costumes for females is Rosie the Riveter. A bandana wrapped around your head and a blue button down with the sleeves rolled up. Some red lipstick and you’re good to go.

Fun Halloween tip:

Own up to the costume you choose or make and you’ll be sure to pull it off. Wear it with confidence.