Five tips to ace your finals

Finals, exams, group projects and presentations. Some of us — looking at you journalism majors — only have a few if any; however, most students are covered with books and notes for this and next week. Stress levels are peaking while students’ blood turns into coffee from drinking so much of it.

Believe it or not, there are ways to keep you from burning out while still taking home that A. We gathered here five tips that will help you keep focused, see straight and not tear your hair out one piece at a time.

1. Go beyond the bare minimum

You know those professors who give you a study guide and the first question on the exam has nothing to do with it? Prevent the problem and read into subjects that are not in the study guide but you spent a long time discussing in class or topics that are closely related to mentioned bullet points.

2. Create your own study guide

Professors (some) provide you with one, but that may not be what’s most convenient for you or what makes the most sense. Using that and other class materials, put together a guide that breaks down the material to your needs and understanding.

3. Drink a moderate amount of coffee

The key word here is moderate. Drinking too much coffee will make your body get used to the amount of caffeine it’s getting and will slowly adjust to it — as a result, decreasing the magical effect of caffeine.

4. Get a good night’s sleep before the exam

Pulling an all-nighter before a final may not pay off in the end and could do more harm than good. You’ll end up being dizzy, unfocused and easily distracted during the test. Get your beauty sleep and love every minute of it while your brain soaks in all the knowledge you studied prior to that night.

5. Quiz yourself

Practice makes perfect, so if you practice answering the questions — hopefully right — you’ll be more likely to get them right when test day comes. If you study alone, use note cards, writing the question on one side and the answer on the other side. And, if you have someone else with you, ask them to quiz you on the subject — this way you’re less likely to cheat.