FGCU and local funeral home to hold prayer service for Orlando victims

Victims of the Orlando shooting that occurred on Sunday, June 12 and their families have received support from Americans across the country and, in the state of Florida, from donations through GoFundMe to waiting hours in line to donate blood. Southwest Floridians will soon also have a chance to pay their respects to the victims.
FGCU will be holding a vigil at the Veteran’s Pavilion at 7 p.m. Tuesday, June 14 to honor the lives lost in the tragedy. Students, staff and faculty are invited to pay their respects to the victims and their families. In the event of bad weather, the vigil will be held in Edwards 112.
Fort Myers Memorial Gardens Funeral Home and Cemetery, located on Colonial Boulevard in Fort Myers, will also be opening its business to the public from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Thursday, June 16 for a memorial service dedicated to the victims and their families.
“As we mourn the horrific event last Sunday morning in Orlando, many of us are dealing with the shock and grief of such a deadly attack,” general manager Donnell Sullivan said in a press release.
A prayer service will begin at 6 p.m. Members of the public are welcome to pray, meditate and join together in solidarity for the lives lost and their loved ones. A memorial book will be provided for attendees to sign. Fort Myers Memorial Gardens will be sending the book to the City of Orlando after the service.
For more information, visit www.fortmyersmemorial.com or call 239-936-0555.