FGCU freshman Jamie Gluesing fills crucial role

FGCU freshman Jamie Gluesing during a home game against LSU. (Photo: Linwood Ferguson)

One of the many leaders on the women’s basketball team is Jaime Gluesing. Gluesing, a freshman, has clearly had an impact this season. She is leading the team’s 3-point field goal percentage at 44.7 percent.
She is originally from Solon, Ohio, which is 20 miles southeast of Cleveland.
“I played for a program called Smack, and we would play tournaments in which there was a lot of exposure to college coaches. Coach Smesko saw me at a tournament in Illinois and offered for me to play here,” Gluesing said. “The Florida weather attracted me to FGCU. It is so cold in Ohio, and it is warm here. Also, the history of the program and it being so good attracted me here,” said Gluesing.
Gluesing did not have a problem transitioning to FGCU and its unique style of offensive play.
“I came over the summer, which really helped because I was adapted to the environment. I got to meet all the players so it wasn’t very hectic when I got here,” Gluesing said.
Gluesing did not expect to be in the starting lineup when the season started.
“I did not think I’d be starting,” Gluesing said. “I thought maybe I’d get in toward the end of the game. Because we have so many freshmen, someone has to step up and play minutes for us.”
She has averaged 23.8 minutes this year, the most for a freshman. Gluesing has noticed an
improvement in her game.
“I think I’ve become more comfortable out there. In the beginning, you could tell that I was a freshman and when I would get the ball I was looking to pass right away,” Gluesing said.
FGCU head coach Karl Smesko was impressed with Gluesing when he first saw her play.
“I went to see her play and thought that she was a versatile player with good size. She plays with a lot of energy so I was impressed by her immediately,” Smesko said. “She’s a really good athlete and on top of that she’s been a great shooter this year. She’s somebody who can really run and as much movement as we have, she’s been knocking down shots at a really high percentage.”
Smesko knew what Gluesing was capable of at the beginning of the season.
“I thought that she would definitely have a role,” Smesko said. “With the freshmen, you’ll never know how long it will take for them to pick up the intensity that we play at. She was picking things up pretty quickly.”
Smesko notes that there are a few things that Gluesing needs to improve.
“We’d like to see her attack the basket more, make some offensive moves and get to the rim. That’ll be the next evolution in her play,” Smesko said. “She’s been a great contributor for us this year, and we’re expecting her to finish strong.”