Bullet journals are the do-it-all agenda for the scatterbrained

With technology at our fingertips, our generation rarely has an excuse for missing deadlines or being late to a meeting. Skype interviews, text alerts for flight changes and constant Facebook push notifications are just a few ways that technology has merged seamlessly into our daily lives.

There are some people, however, that enjoy the simpler things than a do-it-all smartphone or tablet.

For those that long for the feel of paper books, crisp new journal pages and handwritten notes, meet your match: the bullet journal.

The bullet journal is a calendar, notebook, planner and list keeper all in one. It is a catch all for the scatterbrained and keeps to-do lists, journal entries, photographs and other scrapbooking oddities, important dates and schedules in one convenient book.

It’s main function? To help you get stuff done.

The bullet journal is comprised of modules or sections, including an index, daily log, monthly log and future log among other pages of things to get you organized. In bullet journals, you write down quick thoughts and ideas and bullet them, instead of writing out long sentences or paragraphs.

For example, instead of writing, “Remember to schedule a doctor’s appointment for Aug. 12” you would write your bullet symbol for “schedule” and then “Doc appt. Aug. 12”. Pretty simple, right?

To get started, you need a journal (of course). BuzzFeed author Rachel Wilkerson Miller used a Moleskine dotted grid journal for her first bullet journal.

However, the bullet journaling system is versatile enough that you can use any journal you like. You can make messy or neat, spend ten minutes or ten hours on the pages, make it colorful and intricate or minimalistic and monochrome. It’s all what fits your needs.

Your first or last page will need to hold a key of all the bullet symbols you chose to use for your notes. Some example bullets are:

□ Event

○ Completed

= To-Do

√ Schedule

–  Note

> Migrated

You’ll need to number the pages in your journal. This will come in handy with your index, which are the next two pages of your journal. There you can write important pages down to find later.

The next four pages of your journal will serve as your future log, marking every month of the next year (e.g. June 2016 through June 2017). It gives you a simple glimpse into the coming months, whether it be birthdays, important events, assignment deadlines and any other pressing matters that might need to be remembered later on.

Pages following will include any great things you want to keep track of. This can be a variety of things, from book you want to read, movies you want to see or wish lists and bucket lists to be completed in a lifetime.

All your pages after are dedicated to the bullet portion of the journal. In all, you can decorate your journal as complex or simple as you like.

I tried out the bullet journal trend and bought all of the supplies for less than $10 at Target in the Bullseye’s Playground dollar section. My journal is comprised of a mini three-ringed binder and monthly, weekly and notes/misc. sections. While my agenda is not the perfect bullet journal, it really is what you make of it and what fits your needs.

The possibilities are endless. Check out BuzzFeed’s “23 Bullet Journal Ideas That Are Borderline Genius” article or Instagram’s #bulletjournaljunkies to get the journal juices flowing. Share your bullet journal or planner creativity with Eagle News by using #bulletjournalEN on Twitter and Instagram. Happy planning!