Frosh Mosh retreat held for incoming freshmen

Frosh Mosh is a three-day retreat held on campus and is hosted by FGCU Multicultural Ambassadors. Students were given the opportunity to apply for the program, however only fifty students are selected to participate. The retreat consists of activities that encourage the incoming students to work as a team. The program teaches the students about diversity and leadership through various group activities and discussions.
During the first day of the event, students arrived on campus and checked in with the Multicultural Ambassadors where they received their room assignments. When the students entered their dorms, they discovered that each person had a different themed sticker for their nametag on their door. For example, room A had an Olympian theme name tag and room B had a High School Musical name tag. The nametags corresponded with the group that they are later assigned to. At lunch, they played a game called “connect” where in the end, everyone is connected in a certain way by what they have in common.
On day two, everyone was broken up into different groups by numbers.. The Low Ropes course held outside consisted of The Magic Carpet, Traffic Jam and ect. For the obstacles, the groups weren’t given much direction, therefore it motivated them to work as a team and come up with a solution together. The students also learned about their own personality through an activity called True Colors. The students took a simple test and based off of their responses, that’s what color personality they are. They then were grouped with people who have the same color as them and were assigned a project to build a house on a piece of paper, however they like. The activity initially showed how people with different personalities handle a task and how well they achieve their common goal.
On the final day, the students were required to dress in business casual attire for the entire day, leading up to the banquet. The morning discussions included information about diversity and social justice. Dr. Dyonne Bergeron, the Assistant Dean and Director of Multicultural and Leadership Development, showed the students a video about a “One Story.” A “One Story” is when someone determines what he or she thinks about you based off of a stereotype in a way.
Toward the end of the day, each group performed a skit that is about their experience at Frosh Mosh. One group was selected to represent what Frosh Mosh is about and then performed it at the banquet for the parents.
Frosh Mosh is an educational, inspiring and beneficial program that aspiring leaders can find themselves and grow, while making new friends. At the end of each night, the groups gathered with their members and shared their highs and lows of the day. Discussing topics in small and large groups provokes great conversations.
“I would say that Frosh Mosh was an amazing experience that allowed me to meet new friends while practicing and developing my leadership skills,” said freshman and biology major, Kit O’Brien. “It was a lot of fun and the beginning of new friendships.”