Men’s basketball players, Reid and Tucker charged for pot possession early July

Sophomores Reggie Reid and Rayjon Tucker, players on the FGCU men’s basketball team, have been charged with marijuana possession.
According to a police report obtained by the Fort Myers News-Press, in early July, the players were caught on campus with a combined 40 grams of marijuana.
A UPD officer pulled over Reid for speeding at approximately 9 p.m. on Thursday, July 9 on Lake Parkway West. After the officer noticed a strong odor coming from inside the vehicle, Reid admitted that marijuana had been smoked in the car before being pulled over. Reid handed the officer a bag of 21.5 grams of pot.
Having possession of over 20 grams of marijuana is considered a third-degree felony, and is punishable by up to five years in prison.
Tucker stated that a second baggie of marijuana found in the vehicle was his after the officer searched the car. This bag contained 18.5 grams, a first-degree misdemeanor.
After being taken to UPD, Tucker was given a notice to appear in court and was released. His next court appearance is set for Friday, Sept. 23. Reid was arrested and booked into jail past 1:30 a.m. on Friday, July 10. He was released on $5,000 bond a few hours after being booked, pleading not guilty to the possession charge. He is scheduled to appear in court on Wednesday, Sept. 21.
Reid and Tucker have recently failed to attend the men’s basketball team’s trip to the Bahamas in early August after a “failure to live up to team expectations,” according to the program.
Check back with Eagle News for more information on this developing story.