Breaking the binary: gender fluid beauty and style

EN Photo / Allie Taylor

Gender fluidity is an identity people use to indicate their gender expression and is just one of much identification that people can choose from.

Breaking Binary
EN Photo / Allie Taylor

“The takeaway is that only you know who you were born to be, and you need to be free to be that person,” said Ruby Rose, a gender-fluid celebrity who has given people the courage to come out and truly be themselves.

In her interview with Huffington Post, Rose brings visibility to her form of gender identification and empowers others who identify the same way.

Gender-fluid fashion is all about expression – depending on how one feels on a given day – and being comfortable in who you are; how you style your hair, what clothes you wear, and how you feel like presenting yourself.

“My favorite place is Hot Topic,” said Temi A., a junior at FGCU. “My favorite piece is a grayscale flannel shirt that I picked up from there for my 20th birthday.”

Breaking the Binary
EN Photo / Allie Taylor

On days when they feel more masculine, a gender-fluid person might wear button downs and jeans and a neckpiece, like a tie or bow tie for a fancier occasion. However, on more feminine days, they may choose to wear a dress or other more feminine pieces of clothing.

“I definitely didn’t identify as feminine, but I wasn’t quite masculine or androgynous,” said Temi A. “Don’t be afraid to try out different clothing styles. Do your research if you can. It’s okay if your identity changes: nothing is static.”

What’s important is that you are comfortable and true to yourself in whatever you choose to wear. As Temi A. said, “You are still valid just as you are.”