FGCU DII hockey keeps rolling with win over SUNY Cortland

DII+hockey
EN Photo / Rachel Iacovone

The FGCU DII men’s hockey team took on the DI SUNY Cortland Red Dragons for the second straight night in another high-scoring battle.
The Eagles would rally for their sixth straight win in a 12-3 victory.
Coming into the game, the Eagles were averaging nine goals a game.
Eagles goalie Bradley Rambhajan took his third win of the season, allowing one goal before being relieved for the last 13 minutes of the third by AJ Brink.
Hunter Anderson would take the loss after allowing 12 goals before being pulled for Elliot Messmer with 3:23 remaining in the game.
The Eagles picked up right where they left off Friday, putting up five goals in the first period.
The scoring was kickstarted by two shorthanded goals by Josh Koerner — 1:10 apart — who used his speed to get two breakaways and score on the same exact shot blocker side on Anderson.
Then, after the Eagles killed off their penalty, Matt Salera took the puck into the zone and shot a bomb again to Anderson’s blocker side, giving the Eagles three goals in 1:51.
The Red Dragons tried to calm things down by calling a timeout. But, it wouldn’t help them any, as FGCU tallied two more goals 17 seconds apart before the end of the period.
Michael Chemello put another one on the board with 13:55 remaining in the second period, extending the Eagles’ lead to 6-0.
Rambhajan’s shutout streak came to an end at 7:47 when the Red Dragons put home a rebound although this was Rambhajan’s first goal let up in about a game and a half.
The Eagles were quick to answer in more ways than one when David Wong sped down the left sideboards past a defender, taking it backhand across the crease and burying it 44 seconds after the Red Dragons’ goal.
The Red Dragons got one more goal on a puck bounce before Rambhajan shut the door on them for the rest of his night.
Again, the Eagles answered quickly when Jordan Klotz picked up the third shorthanded goal of the night while also drawing a penalty.
The Eagles took a powerplay into the third period and were able to capitalize, as Chemello ripped a shot from the point again on Anderson’s blocker side. Walter Malcolm made it a 10-2 game when he chipped a shot off Anderson and in.
The Eagles changed goalies at 13:24 when AJ Brink came into the game. The Red Dragons got one past Brink about thirty seconds into his play, as they squeezed a shot by him.
The Eagles put up two more goals and ended the night for Anderson, as Messmer stepped in to relieve him of his crease duties.
But, with 3:23 remaining, it wouldn’t matter, as FGCU closed the game, getting 72 shots for the second straight night and getting their sixth straight victory in a 12-3 win.
The Eagles are back in action 8:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday when they take on Miami University.