What winning the World Series means to a Cubs fan

After 108 years of waiting for a World Series win, the Chicago Cubs have done it.
Countless losing seasons have come and gone since the last time the Cubbies won the World Series in 1908. However, the faith of Cubs fans has never wavered, and their support has remained through the highs and lows.
I was born into a Cub-loving family, and I knew we’d be cheering them on for a lifetime, but this season has given new meaning to being a Cubs fan.
The thing about the Cubs is that you can never count them out — they came back in this series after being down 3-1 against the Indians. They tied it back up, and that sent them back out to Cleveland to finish up the World Series.
Many thought that – once again – the Cubs wouldn’t pull through to make it to the seventh game.
Not only did they come back, they won it all and made Chicago proud.
The enthusiasm and pride felt by Cub fans – like myself – is undeniable, and to finally be World Series champions after so many years, makes all the lows we’ve faced worth it.
“Go Cubs Go” is an anthem we sing proudly, and it’s nice knowing we have such a young and versatile team that will only grow stronger and more confident in the years to come.
Winning the pennant was an incredible victory for the Cubs, who were hungry for a World Series title. This team is so strong offensively, exhibited especially by Addison Russell, with a grand slam in the sixth game. The chemistry on this team speaks volumes on and off the field, especially when it comes to the infielders Kris Bryant and Anthony Rizzo, and as a Cubs fan, there’s nothing greater to watch.
The seventh game kept us on our toes. The beginning had us believing the Cubs could not be stopped, but the Indians still had some fight left in them, and gave the Cubs a run for their money.
Game seven started off with a historic leadoff homerun from Dexter Fowler, and that energy was the boost the Cubs needed to take the lead. Then, in the bottom of the fifth, Joe Maddon switched out Kyle Hendricks for Jon Lester as pitcher, and Aroldis Chapman ended up being the closer.
The Indians got some runs and started to gain on the Cubs. The Indians scored three more runs in the eighth inning, and tied it up 6-6.
We were so close, we could taste the victory, but Cubs couldn’t claim the title that easily.
So the seventh game went to extra innings.
The stress was overwhelming — this game had turned into a nail bitter, one error could have changed the outcome.
After what seemed like a lifetime of a rain delay, the Cubs came into the 10th inning looking to claim this title, and swinging to score. The adrenaline was raging as this game turned into an all-consuming, late-night game, but we were watching history happen right in front of our eyes and we refused to turn away.
After scoring two more runs in the extra inning, they shut the Indians down after one final run, and won the seventh game by 1, 8-7.
The cheers and screams of joy rang throughout the bars, restaurants, homes and all across Wrigleyville.
The Cubs signify everything the MLB is about and, in my opinion, they proved time and time again in this season and this series that they are the best team in baseball.
Words could not express the happiness Cub fans feel, as we continue to show our support to the Chicago Cubs, who now hold the 2016 World Series title.
I have so much love for Chicago, the city I’m from, and all the excitement the Cubs bring to it, especially in Wrigleyville.
Stay tuned and watch for the parade that will go on for the next few days in the Windy City.