FGCU Chick-Fil-A, Starbucks campus locations extend hours

Florida Gulf Coast University has decided to extend the hours of Starbucks and Chick-fi l-A, but it may be only temporary.
For the spring 2014 term, Eagle Dining will assure that these specific locations will stay open until 10 p.m. instead of 8 p.m.
Loren Prive, director of business operations, has been analyzing the dining-traffi c patterns at FGCU. Data from the fall 2013 semester has shown that multiple numbers of students have been showing up to these locations around 8 p.m. The Business Operations Department worked with Eagle Dining, so during the in Spring 2014 semester, students can have extra time to visit these locations.
But what about Blu Sushi, Einstein’s, Subway and Taco Bell? Prive stated that the other locations were showing less traffi c during closing time. Business Operations only extended the hours at the locations where it made sense.
“The preliminary results are showing that the extension of hours was a good decision,” Prive said.
Some employees at Starbucks disagree. A cashier and multiple baristas were giving out free coffees one night, saying it was in protest of the extended hours.
On the other hand, sophomore and Starbucks employee Ricky Ysidron only fi nds benefi t in the extension. He excuses his coworkers’ behavior by explaining that many people may not know about the change, accounting for the low number of customers.
“There may not be many customers that come in during the extended hours yet, but there are still people who stay in Starbucks to study until we close,” Ysideron said.
After discussing the students’ gain from the extended hours, he explains his personal benefit.
“I don’t have a lot of extra time to work. So by them extending the hours, it gives me a chance to work more hours and get more money,” Ysideron said.
Ysideron feels there will be no threat to his school work even though he will be working more. He shared that his employers tend to his availability and needs, understanding that school comes first.
Junior Erica Schiraldi is another student that is grateful for the extended hours. She recently discovered that Chick-fi l-A and Starbucks were open later. She shared her frustration, from just last semester, when she would show up to a closed shop. If only this opportunity had been implemented before now.
Though she enjoyed Chick-fi l-A and Starbucks, she explains how Starbucks is going to be her real saving grace.
“I’m in night classes until eight Monday through Thursday. I’m going to be tired, so I will definitely be at Starbucks,” Schiraldi said.
She hopes that the extended hours of Chick-fi l-A and Starbucks will continue after spring semester.