Students share mixed feelings over V-Day

There is one day a year that has been set aside as a time to tell someone special just how much they mean to you. Valentine’s Day has had its fair share of controversy over the idea of only showing affection on one specific day a year. Arguments have been made that Feb.14 is a holiday designed by large corporations in conjunction with the media and that society continues to give in to the frenzy every year.
One student who does not agree with the idea that affection should celebrated once a year is junior biotechnology major Jah Pino. “It’s a stupid and overrated holiday,” Pino said. She feels that things would not be so unbearable if there were not so many expectations set for holiday. Pino maintains the belief that to truly care about someone is to show them affection throughout the year rather than postponing everything for one day that, in the end, may not live up to your partners’ expectations. The turning point for Pino was around the age of 15, when the spontaneity of affection transformed into the high expectations of an actual relationship.
Then again, there are those like senior Sara Hynes, who accept the holiday and all of its pink, heart-shaped goodness. Not only does Hynes gladly welcome a day infused with jumbo-sized stuffed animals and ornate pink-decorated Valentine cards, but she ventures to name Valentine’s Day as her “absolute favorite holiday.” For this art major, the day does not center on creating high expectations for someone to meet, but rather about finding a way to enjoy a day that was intended to be enjoyed. Hynes is a great example of not relying on others to dictate her happiness when she has the power to create it for herself. One of her most memorable Valentine’s Day took place when Hynes was a freshmen in high school at an-all girls party full of chocolate and heart-warming movies.

Regardless of their view on the holiday both students focused on being happy in their own way. Whether you are a lover of all things pink and sweet and extravagant, or if you would rather sit at home and watch movies with that someone special, students are reminded to be safe and most definitely have a great Feb. 14.