Eagles move to 2-0 in conference play with win over UNF


(EN Photo / Brad Young)

Playing on the road for the first time in conference play, the FGCU men’s soccer team defeated UNF 2-0 behind goals from Robert Ferrer and Shak Adams.
Goaltender Connor Gavigan registered his fourth shutout of the year and now has not allowed a goal in the last 297 minutes and 14 seconds, dating back to Sept. 15 versus Loyola Marymount.
“We played with a lot of heart and determination tonight,” head coach Jesse Cormier said. “UNF threw the house at us, but our guys played hard. Earlier in the season, I’m not sure we would have come through with this result, but tonight we showed a lot of resolve.”
Early on for the Eagles, Miguel Perez, making his second start of the season for the Eagles, had two shot attempts within the first seven minutes, but the first one was blocked and second went wide left, as the game remained scoreless.
The Ospreys earned its only corner kick early in the first half after a couple of shots and, like the Eagles, could not score.
The lone shot on goal in the first half came from Kareem Riley, which was easily saved by Todd Pederson. The two teams combined for six shots in the first half, as the two teams headed into halftime.
Right out of the break, UNF pressured the Eagles, as Micah Smoak came within inches of giving UNF the lead, but his shot hit the post. Less than a minute later, Adrian Nunez had the Ospreys’ first shot on goal that was saved by Gavigan.
The Eagles finally broke through, as the Ospreys were called for a handball in the box, and Ferrer converted the penalty kick for his third of the year to put FGCU up 1-0.
Adams doubled the lead later in the half after Chris Clement played a ball to Adams, firing home his second goal in two games (and third of the year) for a 2-0 lead.
The Eagles defense continued to preserve shut out and FGCU picked up its second win in conference play.
“It’s a big conference win against a rival opponent and something we can hopefully build momentum from,” Cormier said.
FGCU will head home for the start of a three-game home stand, starting on Tuesday, Oct. 3 at 7 p.m. versus No. 17 Omaha.