FGCU Love Blue and Men’s Club Soccer Clean Up Little Hickory Beach

Joseph Coppola

On Oct. 28, FGCU Love Blue partnered with the FGCU men’s club soccer team and helped clean up 86 pounds of trash at Little Hickory Beach.

FGCU Love Blue started in 2019, and their goal is to share the “Blue Movement” worldwide in order to eliminate our ocean waste and plastic pollution crisis. The movement is about taking action against the pollution in our marine ecosystems through community outreach.

Claire Hendren is a senior and the vice president of FGCU Love Blue. She is majoring in entrepreneurship with a minor in real estate.

“FGCU Love Blue’s mission is to protect our community from this pollution crisis as well, along with helping restore our communities in the event of hurricanes or other natural disasters to help our marine life and locals in the area,” Hendren said.

Social media is how FGCU Love Blue connects and collaborates with other clubs, such as club soccer and FGCU’s Beach Club.

Hendren says keeping our local beaches and environment clean is important.

“Obviously, with climate change, and the future of how we want our world to be, we’re trying to make an impact to save the wildlife, especially after Hurricane Ian,” Hendren said.

In January, FGCU Love Blue helped clean over 1000 pounds out of the mangroves after Hurricane Ian. Some of the more interesting items that were cleaned out include a portable toilet, staircases, fences and garage doors.

Jazel Chang is a member of FGCU Love Blue. She is a senior majoring in entrepreneurship and marketing.

Chang says she feels accomplished every time she cleans up the environment. 

“I’m not just talking about helping the environment, but I’m actually doing something to help,” Chang said.

Juan Ventura plays for FGCU’s men’s club soccer team. He is a junior majoring in marine science. He says why we need to protect the earth and the animals that live here.

“We have a vast biodiversity and with construction going on so close to the beach, I know there’s a lot of microplastics in the ocean killing animals,” Ventura said. 

FGCU Love Blue’s next clean-up event and the last time they will meet this year is on Dec. 2. It will take place at the same location, Little Hickory Beach, from 8-10 a.m.

Anyone can help and join FGCU Love Blue. Students can get involved through events posted on Eagle Link and by following them on Instagram. You can send them a message to talk to someone directly, or you can get involved by doing a clean up on your own and tagging them in a post or story.

Looking to join FGCU Love Blue? They are looking for new executive members next semester to fill positions for the 2024-2025 school year.

View Comments (2)