FGCU student walks among peers as an unknown

Do you ever stop to think about whom you’re sitting next to in class? It’s easy to recognize a campus celebrity such as an athlete or Mr. FGCU when one walks through the door, but what about that one guy who walks in behind them? Ever wonder what his story is? Such is the case with Christian Catlin. At 21-years-old, Catlin seems to be making a name for himself around the hip-hop world while inexplicably fl ying under the radar on campus. To start, here are a few things you most likely didn’t know about the guy sitting next to you.
Last year he performed live as an opening act for Kid Ink. On March 10, he has the privilege of opening for Current$y at the Orpheum and on March 22 he will open for Waka Flocka Flav at the Credit Union Amphitheatre in Tampa. Not bad for a guy whose fi rst live performance was at the FGCU talent show last year. In addition, he has been featured on music blog sites such as Dat Piff, Indie Rap Blog and Underground Hip-Hop. These features include free streaming of his music and opportunities to watch his music videos.
Catlin is a creator and fi nds comfort in knowing his music is a direct interpretation of his life experiences. We call that an artist. His art allows for him to distinguish himself not only as a gifted lyricist but also as a skillful producer, spitting his own rhymes over his own beats. The last thing you need to know about Catlin— and this is important— his mix tape “40 oz. Killer” is exceptional. Key tracks to watch out for are “Chi Chi Bud” and “Toast to the Dead.” Since coming to FGCU from Sarasota, Catlin teamed up with fellow classmate Anthony Ferdinand and together formed the rapping duo CC & Close Up. Catlin hasn’t checked the rearview mirror since. He is a kid with the rare ability to look forward to the future while staying connected to the present.
Next time you wonder about the kid sitting next to you, realize it doesn’t take a victory over Georgetown to make someone a Cinderella story. Music is best enjoyed when shared and Catlin is defi nitely worth sharing.

Photo courtesy of Christian Catlin