Standing on platforms

Joel Morris: Were there any bullet points that stood out to you the most?
Aubrie Gerber: Something that I thought that was refreshing was the 50 pages for library printing. I just think students could really use that, especially if you’re in freshman housing or even anywhere off-campus. Sometimes your computer goes down and you don’t always have cash to put on your Eagle ID, so I think that’s a great initiative.
JM: The one liked the most was the power-generating gym equipment from H.O.U.S.E. Because we’re an environmentally-conscious school, and that would help with energy needs as we expand. Granted, it would not be a huge impact. I was talking to one of the candidates, who was discussing price issues with that, and I looked it up, and to convert the current bikes, it was only $300 per bike. I’m sure it wouldn’t be too diffi cult to do the same to the ellipticals and others.
AG: Yeah, I think that’s not as important as some of the other initiatives. I mean, we are a green campus, but I think other initiatives could be made, green-wise. But for some reason, I think that the H.O.U.S.E. Party kind of lives up to the name. by having shuttles to the beach and I think it just doesn’t seem as serious, you know? You’re going to spend money on shuttling students to the beach when we have a beach on campus; they don’t need someone to be bringing them somewhere else, wasting student government money.
JM: Yeah, I mean, granted, that’s pretty stupid. One thing I thought was interesting was the T-shirt exchange, from FOR THE EAGLES. It’s something I vaguely remember in the past, but I know for sure I never took advantage of it. It did catch my attention, at least.
AG: The thing that I thought was really interesting about the ACTION party was the initiative for North Lake Village parking rights, which I think is very important. Currently, FGCU is making all those residents that live by Alico Arena park their cars in parking garages during the games. Students are paying money to park there and everyone attending the basketball games are parking there for free. I think the ACTION party is staying current with what the students want, and they’re breaking it down into segments, such as the academic life, leadership and so on.
JM: I like ACTION’s stance on integrity and leadership, and their goal to make things more transparent to the average student. Limiting parking space perks; I don’t know if they meant that for students, if they meant that for professors, you know.
AG: I think that they worded it in a way to make you want to fi nd out more.
JM: I think one issue I have with the ACTION party is “The Eagle” site. Basically, it would put a fountain in the middle of the cross-path on the library lawn, and it seems like a cool idea, but not necessarily like something that should be top priority.
AG: But also, the H.O.U.S.E. party is trying to beautify the University and grounds of the library lawn, so that’s sort of the same thing.
JM: In a certain way, it is, but it’s also broad enough to kind of, you know, ignore it and not go through with it. AG: Both ACTION and H.O.U.S.E. are both justifying that they’re trying to make the campus more beautiful and more spirited…
JM: Aesthetically pleasing.
AG: Exactly. So I don’t think it’s fair to point out one of them as a fl aw, when they’re both aiming for similar things.
JM: I mean with the Greek/non-Greek relationships, I don’t know what that entails, specifi cally.
AG: FOR THE EAGLES party, you mean?
JM: Yeah. My personal biases toward Greek life are that it takes a lot of our money, then it wants more money from its members, to do some charity work that members could do individually. So, I don’t know how they change my opinion on that.
AG: I think we can say that overall, the parties have positive initiatives, and some initiatives that leave me with questions, so we’ll just have to see if the elected party will follow through. But, we’re excited to see where this whole campaign takes us.
JM: The biggest thing I’d like to see on any of these is really just more emphasis on conservation and environmental awareness, stuff like that. You know, whoever ends up winning, if they could just incorporate the other ideas that the different parties have put forth, if you combine all their green initiatives, I think it makes for a superb program. I would also like to say that I support Dom Volpi’s initiative in Programming Board for getting us media passes during Eaglepalooza, because that was pretty sweet.