FGCU fouls up against Kennesaw State, breaks 14-match win streak

EN+Photo+by+Julia+Bonavita+%2F%2F+FGCUs+hitters+starred+with+the+help+of+Chelsey+Lockeys+36+assists.+The+team+recorded+a+near+.500+hitting+percentage+in+their+win+against+NJIT.+
EN Photo by Julia Bonavita // FGCU’s hitters starred with the help of Chelsey Lockey’s 36 assists. The team recorded a near .500 hitting percentage in their win against NJIT.

By Cole Potts
Staff Writer
The FGCU volleyball team lost grip of its 14-match win streak in a 3-1 set loss Kennesaw State University on Friday night.
Despite the loss, the Eagles still hold a one-and-a-half match advantage over KSU in the ASUN standings, thus controlling their own destiny.
“This was obviously a disappointing result as we would have liked to perform at a higher level, but much of that had to do with KSU doing a great job applying pressure throughout the match,” FGCU head coach Matt Botsford said. “We didn’t manage their service game very well and offensively, after that second set, we really struggled to find consistent point scoring.
In the opening set, FGCU led 23-20 before KSU forced an extended set, FGCU was able to squeeze through with a 30-28 win. Kennesaw State would respond as they snagged a 30-28 win of their own in the second set. KSU would follow their extended set performance and secure back-back set wins to take a 3-1 victory over the Eagles
Cortney VanLiew was able to record a team-high 16 kills while adding seven digs, while Chelsey Lockey tallied 41 assists to surpass 1,500 in her career and record 10 digs for her seventh double-double this season.
The FGCU volleyball team looks to bounce back with a win on the road against Lipscomb this Sunday at 1 p.m. to maintain their spot atop the ASUN conference.