Ulel scores season-high 23 points, Eagles soar past CCSU 94-60

Photo+Provided+by+FGCU+Athletics+%2F%2F+Nasrin+Ulels+season-high+23+points+propelled+the+Eagles+past+Central+Connecticut+State+94-60%2C+in+their+Tuesday+night+matchup+at+home.+
Photo Provided by FGCU Athletics // Nasrin Ulel’s season-high 23 points propelled the Eagles past Central Connecticut State 94-60, in their Tuesday night matchup at home.

By Cole Potts
Staff Writer
FGCU women’s basketball downed Central Connecticut State 94-60, in their Tuesday night matchup at home.
Senior Nasrin Ulel led the Eagles offensively with 23 points while shooting 9 of 15 from the field, matching her season-high point total in a game.
Davion Wingate, Keri Jewett-Giles and Kerstie Phillis combined for 43 of the FGCU’s total 94 points. Phillis finished the game with a season-high of 14 points, shooting 100% from the field as well as matching her season-high in rebounds with eight in total.
With CCSU trailing by four after the first quarter, FGCU was able to lock down on defense and hold CCSU to only 12 points the entire second quarter, entering the half with a lead of 51-30.
“I thought Central Connecticut State came out really strong in the first quarter,” FGCU head coach Karl Smesko said. “They executed well offensively, and we made some defensive mistakes. Fortunately, we forced some turnovers in the second quarter and were able to turn them into some points. Fortunately, we were able to extend the lead at the start of the third quarter, which allowed us to get everyone in the game.”
The Eagles came out strong in the second half, scoring 15 of the first 20 points. They continued to hold a large lead the rest of the game, with their highest lead reaching 37 points.
The Eagles ended the game with a blowout 94-60 victory, capitalizing off turnovers by converting 23 points, along with 21 points coming off the bench.
The FGCU women’s basketball team will face LSU this Thursday, Dec. 19 in at 7 p.m. matchup at Alico Arena.