FGCU Drops Another On The Road In South Dakota

By Jake Henning
Assistant Sports Editor
The FGCU men’s basketball team (2-11) dropped their sixth straight game after a 75-56 loss to South Dakota State (8-6), Wednesday night.
After a 10-day break, the Eagles looked sluggish as they shot 39 percent from the field and only 30 percent from the 3-point line. 
FGCU’s leading scorer was Caleb Catto, who scored 13 points on 5-15 shooting and three triples. Catto would add two assists and three rebounds to go along with leading the Eagles in scoring. 
Justus Rainwater was only one point behind Catto with 12 points, on an efficient 6-8 from the field. Rainwater also grabbed a team-high seven rebounds on the night. 
Rainwater would score 10 of his 12 points in the final 10 minutes of the game, a boost that would help FGCU cut the game close down the stretch. 
The Eagles were held to just three points through the first nine minutes of the game and got to double-digits with eight minutes left in the first half. 
A layup with three minutes left in the first half would give  the Jackrabbits their biggest lead at 42-17.  
FGCU’s Tracy Hector opened the second half with a three-pointer and after that, the Eagles would cut the lead to 13. This would be the closest the Eagles would get in the second half alone. 
South Dakota State turned FGCU’s 13 turnovers into 24 points, while the Eagles only converted seven points from the Jackrabbit’s 15 turnovers.
FGCU’s next game will be back at Alico Arena on Saturday, Dec. 21 against St. Thomas University at 7 p.m.