ASUN considering expansion of conference

(EN Photo / Brad Young)

Harold J. Solomon IV

Sports Editor

On Jan. 22, the ASUN Conference and commissioner Ted Gumbart announced that the league is exploring the possibility of expanding their membership to other schools. One of the considered scenarios is to merge with the CCSA to build a new multisport conference.

FGCU’s Director of Athletics, Ken Kavanaugh, released the following statement regarding the ASUN’s consideration on Jan. 24.

Provided by FGCU Athletics.

The statement reiterates that FGCU Athletics has not currently made any decision on the matter and remains focused on it’s newly launched E.A.G.L.E. (Eagle Athletics Generating Lifetime Excellence) Campaign.

With the possibility of a new multisport conference being explored, FGCU remains firm on the ground that it doesn’t plan on adding football to the athletics program.

While the statement cites the addition of football would not be feasible financially, it’s worth noting that it was only two months ago that FGCU Campus Recreation suspended it’s club football team indefinitely. The suspension came after the reports of then-head coach Kevin Van Duser extending “offers” to over 100 individuals across the country. Since then, FGCU continues to make it clear that it will not add football to the athletics program.