FGCU men’s hoops hits stunner to beat Jacksonville 63-61

EN+Photo+by+Julia+Bonavita+%2F%2F+Jalen+Warren+hit+a+clutch+shot+to+give+the+Eagles+a+63-61+lead+with+just+five+seconds+left+and+the+eventual+victory+over+Jacksonville.+
EN Photo by Julia Bonavita // Jalen Warren hit a clutch shot to give the Eagles a 63-61 lead with just five seconds left and the eventual victory over Jacksonville.

Jake Henning
Assistant Sports Editor
The FGCU men’s basketball team (7-16, 4-4 ASUN) picked up another conference win, as Jalen Warren scored the game-winner with three seconds left to beat Jacksonville (10-13, 3-5 ASUN), 63-61.
“I thought tonight was a really gutsy and gritty game by our guys,” said head coach Michael Fly. “Jacksonville is a tough, tough team and hard to beat when the fans in Swisher Gym get going. I was proud of the guys for continuing to fight after JU cut down our 10 point lead.”
Warren’s floater would cap off an 18-point night, as the Eagles are now in a tie with NJIT for fifth-place in the ASUN standings.
This was Warren’s second game-winner on the season, the first being a mid-range jumper in Alico Arena against FAU early in the season. This same play was featured #1 on Sportscenter’s Top Ten Plays of the Day.
Caleb Catto was FGCU’s leading scorer on the night, dropping a game-high 20 points on 7-16 from the field. Catto would also add five rebounds and three assists.
This was Catto’s third game in a row with 20-points, being the first player since FGCU alum and Atlanta Hawks guard Brandon Goodwin to do so. He is now averaging 16.0 points per game on the season.
Zach Scott scored 11 points in his first start in eight games, while Tracy Hector led the team in rebounds and assists.
“Those were games we hadn’t won recently,” said Coach Fly. “We are certainly seeing positive signs here and, as we all know, if you can play the right way at the right time of year, special things can happen.”
FGCU’s next game will be tomorrow when they take on Liberty in Lynchburg, VA at 7 p.m.