Police Beat: toy gun scare, stolen laundry, and a parking garage fall

Police+Beat
Matt Ricci

Information from UPD’s weekly press report.
On Friday, Jan. 24, a student reported seeing a man in the bed of a pickup truck possibly holding a handgun. Officers responded and found he was in possession of a plastic toy gun that he was using for a class project. He was told to put the gun away and to not show it in public.
Two people were found intoxicated and smoking outside of Apartment S in North Lake on Tuesday, Jan. 28. One student and one non-student were ID’ed and officers advised them of the university’s alcohol and smoking regulations.
A laundry basket full of  laundry was taken from Laundry Building 3 in North Lake on Thursday, Jan. 28. The complainant left the laundry in a dryer around 8:30. Just after 10:50, a white blonde female in a gray shirt and black pants used the complainant’s basket to move clothing, and then left with the basket.
The fire alarm in a Garage went off on Thursday, Jan. 30. Officials found an a/c fan in room 101 causing smoke. The alarm was cleared, and the Chiller Plant replaced the fan.
 A complaint of a suspicious person near Howard Hall was filed on Thursday, Jan. 30. UPD found the subject was just taking a walk to clear his head.
On Friday, Jan. 31, a male fell from the 6th floor of Garage B in South Village. Lee County Sheriff’s Office responded and found the victim unconscious but breathing. The victim was transported to Lee Memorial Hospital in Fort Myers. The victim is expected to make a full recovery.