Eagles grab wins on day two of FGCU Kickoff Classic

EN Photo by Julia Bonavita

Jake Henning
Assistant Sports Editor
The FGCU softball improved their record to 4-0 on Saturday, as they defeated both Georgetown (0-4), 5-0, and LIU (2-2), 5-1.
“We had two really good wins tonight and I just like the way we are competing in all aspects,” said head coach David Deiros.
The Eagles got off to an early start in their game against Georgetown, as hits from Sammi Poehlman and McKenna Batterton would jumpstart an exciting first inning. 
After a fielder’s choice that moved Batterton over to third, Reedy Davenport singled up the middle of the infield to bring in the first run of the game. 
Davenport would then steal second to put runners on second and third, bringing up pitcher Marissa Mesiemore. Mesimore drove an inside pitch into the left field gap for a double, bringing the score up to 3-0 for FGCU.
The Green and Blue wouldn’t stop there as two walks and Batterton double gave FGCU a 4-0 lead heading into the top of the third inning. Batterton finished this game 4-4, with one double, three singles and an RBI to continue her impressive first weekend. 
Mesiemore pitched another gem of a game, lasting six innings, while adding six strikeouts to her line and only giving up two hits. 
FGCU scored another run in the sixth off a sac fly to center from Maddi Johnson, and would finish it off in the seventh to take the first win of a doubleheader. 
In FGCU’s second game of the day, LIU struck first as a flyball to left center would score the first run of the game. An amazing catch on that play by McKenna Batterton would save LIU from extending the inning. 
FGCU would be held scoreless until the fourth, where they capitalized on two errors that gave the Eagles some life. Hope Hernandez’s single to left brought home a run and the lead up to 2-0.
A couple of hits in the sixth gave FGCU a lead of 5-1, while Hernandez recorded her second RBI on the day with a single. 
Johneisha Row finished the game 3-3 with a run and a stolen base, while Hernandez went 2-3 with two RBI and a run scored. 
FGCU’s next game will be tomorrow when they take on UCONN (2-2) at 1:30 p.m. to close out the Kickoff Classic.