Kris Travels the Globe

EN+Photo+provided+by+Kris+Locker.+
EN Photo provided by Kris Locker.

By Kris Locker
Graphics Editor
As soon as finals were over, I flew to the West Sussex of England. The plan was to spend three days in Paris at the start of my trip but traveling never goes as planned. Before leaving for the airport my friend informed me about the status of France’s public transport. Little to my knowledge workers were striking for pension security, and that meant my train was cancelled. Flights were far too expensive to book, so I got refunded for my train ticket and hostel. The other catch? The weather impeded most outdoor pursuits. Between the rain and ranging 40-degree temperatures, I found myself eager to get out.
If this trip taught me anything, it was how important research is. Check your bookings a week, three days and one day before leaving. If something is cancelled, you want to fall within the window of refunds. Decide what activities you want from a trip. Is it being outside to hike? Sit on the beach? See snow in the mountains? Stroll through a local city? Whatever your perfect trip is, find the time of year in that location that gives you the weather you expect. This helps planning your days and optimizing the value of your trip. While I didn’t see the Eifel Tower or hike every day, I am pleased with my time in England.
Happy travels,
Kris

EN Photo provided by Kris Locker

Student Spotlight
Allie Prevost, 20, is a junior at FGCU who took her winter break to Europe. She decided to visit a friend in Netherlands for 12 days following finals week. During the trip abroad the two embarked on a smaller trip to Dublin, Ireland.
“Dublin was a cheap option,” Prevost said. “It also seemed like an interesting place for a smaller trip.”
Before this trip Prevost had only been out of the country once before. Fortunately, her first trip abroad was also in Europe, which made this trip easier to navigate. Prevost said over summer 2019 she went to Barcelona, Berlin, Amsterdam and Rome.
The language barrier was an issue, but most countries speak English according to Prevost. Public transportation was also a new factor for travel abroad.
“We don’t have public transportation so learning the system was a little hard,” Prevost said. “There are apps that make transportation easier for foreigners.”
Prevost said her favorite part of the trip was immersing herself with the culture of Dublin.
“The people were so nice and welcoming, and as a party city, I never felt uncomfortable. I think that atmosphere was my favorite part,” Prevost said.
As a full-time college student and waitress, Prevost said it can often be hard to find the time to make money for trips. She said it is about working hard and saving up.
“My motto is money is refillable, but time isn’t,” Prevost said. “Do it while you’re young and you have the opportunity.”