Club of the Month: FGCU Baseball

FGCU+Club+Baseball+continues+to+play+through+the+pandemic%3B+EN+Photo+by+Julia+Bonavita+
FGCU Club Baseball continues to play through the pandemic; EN Photo by Julia Bonavita

By Jake Henning
Sports Editor
As one of the more competitive clubs on campus, FGCU Baseball has done their absolute best to play during the tough stretch of COVID-19.
Baseball usually has around eight series’ throughout the spring, where they typically have two 7 inning games Saturday and a 9 inning game on Sunday. But because of COVID-19, they have been restricted in their travel to other campuses around the state.
Their division is made up of pretty much all the big schools in Florida, which include FSU, UF, UCF, USF, and UM. Their biggest goal of the year is to actually have a season and if all goes to plan, they also want to sweep the series against FSU.
They currently have 25 players on our travel roster, while getting new members has been tough with COVID-19 straining their outreach on the FGCU campus.
“We were used to tabling to get people familiar with our club,” Alex Scarafile said. “So our numbers of players turning out was significantly less than previous years.”
“Our club has grown because the former players who have graduated have helped us out with the different aspects that have allowed the team to run more smoothly,” Scarafile said.
Club Baseball has held tryouts and even a few practices in the hopes that they’ll be able to compete this season. They recently released their roster for the 2021 season.