Don’t you want to say “I voted”?

The importance of voting ahead of the general election

Tori Foltz, Editor-in-Chief

I have been waiting for this year’s election since I was a kid. I turned 18 last year, so this is the first election that I can vote for. I have looked forward to casting my ballot for what seems like forever, and I finally had the chance to with the primary election in August.

Since I voted by mail due to being away from home, the experience was a little anti-climactic. I circled my candidate choices, sealed the envelope, and then dropped it off at the post office. It took me less than five minutes. It was a little less exciting than I had imagined, however, my mom did save me her “I voted” sticker.

Growing up, my parents instilled in me the importance of voting and fighting for what I thought was right. As citizens of a democracy, we are given the right and privilege to vote, and it is dire that we exercise that right. The fate of the nation truly depends on it.

“I live in Washington D.C. so voting is super important to me,” FGCU alumni Holly Turcich said. “Voting is the most rebellious act you can make in a democracy.”

The youth vote (that’s us) is said to play a huge role in this year’s election. A lot of monumental things have happened in the past few years, and young people have a lot to say about it. If you’re someone that has a lot to say, be sure to exercise your 15th Amendment right and cast your ballot.

“Voting is of vital importance, especially for our age group because many young Americans don’t vote due to the heavy disdain towards American politics,” freshman Christopher Giourgas said. “Because of this, we allow an inaccurate point of view of elected officials.”

As citizens, we must recognize the huge responsibility we undertake in a democracy. The 15th Amendment grants us the right to vote and says that we have a say in what goes in on our government.

“Voting reminds me of the responsibility we all have as citizens to protect our rights,” sophomore Nick McClure said.

Whether you vote by mail or go to your designated polling location, it is dire that we exercise our right to vote, especially in times like these.

“Voting for the people we want represents the individual’s vote who wants a candidate that is compassionate enough to enact actual change in a community and as a country as a whole,” Giourgas said.

Election Day is Nov. 8. You can find your nearest polling location through the Florida Division of Elections. Use your voice and vote!