Having Fun For Galentine’s Day

Abigail Muth, Staff Writer

Although Valentine’s Day is my absolute favorite holiday, even when I may not have a significant other, it can feel demeaning and exclusive to those who think it is only for people in romantic relationships.

To me, Galentine’s Day feels just as traditional as Valentine’s Day. This “fake” holiday can be traced back to the popular comedy show, “Parks and Recreation.” The main character Leslie Knope held a celebration for her female friends the day before Valentine’s Day in order to celebrate her friendship with them.

“What’s Galentine’s Day? Oh, it’s only the best day of the year,” Leslie Knope said.

Agreed Leslie. I think that this seemingly silly holiday can represent sisterhood and friendship, and when do we ever really have a whole day dedicated to that? Of course, Galentine’s isn’t only for the girls, but for anyone who wants a reason to celebrate their friendships.

Galentine’s Day technically falls on Feb. 13, the day before Valentine’s Day. However, I personally will be celebrating on Feb. 12 as it happens to fall on Super Bowl Sunday this year. What better way to spend time with my best friends than being able to brunch it up, take a quick nap and close out the day with Rihanna’s halftime show?

Originally, in Leslie Knope’s world, Galentine’s day was always breakfast on Feb. 13, the day before Valentine’s Day. In reality, it can be whatever you want. Breakfast food is the best way to celebrate anything, in my opinion, but this holiday can fit whatever vision you have for the occasion.

I understand that in these times, not everyone can afford to put together a flashy party for their friends. That’s why this year my friends and I are all pitching in by making one dish, not bringing any gifts and just coming together for an afternoon of time well spent together. If anything, the Super Bowl makes it easier to keep it inexpensiv4 this year. All you really need to “celebrate” is a TV and some snacks. Although I wouldn’t recommend being too nonchalant about the game. Especially if any of your friends are rooting for a rival team. 

I look forward to hosting and trying a new breakfast quiche recipe this year, but Galentine’s Day can be celebrated wherever you want. Heck, if I had the money, I would take a whole Galentine’s Day trip. Maybe to Mykonos.

But as I’ve said before, this day isn’t about being flashy, it’s about knowing how to spend quality time with the people you love. Which I guess is what Valentine’s Day is too, but it tends to add to the pressure of being romantic and giving presents.

I know many of the beaches nearby are still not open, but sharing a picnic outside is one of the best ways to drop your phone for a while and have quality conversations with those around you. Many places on campus would be gorgeous backgrounds for this occasion.

This could even be the opportunity you have been looking for to take your friends and do some good in the community. We recently got hit by a category 4 hurricane, and that may have affected some of your plans this summer, but take this as an opportunity to bond with your closest friends and do some good together.

In the words of Knope, “Galentine’s Day is wonderful and should be a national holiday.”