The Pining for Canvas Notifications is Over, MyTextMate is Here

Photo courtesy of Mia Baker, Unsplash

Hayley Lemery, Assignment & Features Editor

FGCU has launched a free pilot program for Canvas notifications called MyTextMate, allowing users to create automated personalized text reminders for their assignments.

Information Technology Services implemented this app for the spring 2023 semester. An adoption of the app after the pilot will be considered depending on the satisfaction and response from students, according to the ITS website.

“I haven’t used it for very long, but so far it is very convenient and helpful. I forget about the notifications that Canvas sends out and have not been good about going to the app to check my to-do list,” junior entrepreneurship student Zachary Murck said.

The app allows students to customize reminders, change how many days in advance the reminders are sent, send extra reminders and rename courses. 

“Having MyTextMate send me daily reminders has been extremely beneficial because I check my text messages a lot more often than Canvas,” Murck said.

According to the ITS frequently asked questions page, the app claims to be available on the App store and Google Play.

“I have a Google Pixel phone and MyTextMate does not seem to be an app on Google Play. I just look at the Canvas dashboard to see what assignments are due. If this app is only available for iPhone users, then it’s not very convenient for me anyway,” junior communications student Katie Summers said.

ITS said that for years, students have been asking for a feature to send push notifications to be successful.

“I honestly think it’s a great tool to remind me when my assignments are due,” freshman clinical laboratory science student Edicia Rodriguez said. “It sends me a text in the morning on which assignments are due that day and which ones are coming up. It also helps me add upcoming assignments to my weekly planner.”

Students can receive ITS support by texting the MyTextMate support number at 954-603-4733 or by contacting the FGCU Help Desk at [email protected] or 239-590-1188.

“So far, I haven’t had any problems with the app, and I would recommend it to other students. It’s a good way to keep track of your assignments using something you already check on a daily basis,” Rodriguez said.