Be the SHE You Want to Be

Photo by Unsplash

Delinah Rosario, Opinion Editor

Women’s History Month is a celebration throughout the entire month of March that commemorates and encourages the dedication and resilience of women in American history. During the month we celebrate the countless women who have fought tirelessly and courageously for a multitude of things. Women who fought for things like opportunity, justice and equality in our nation are recognized this month. 

As a woman, I love seeing other women strive. I love being able to see the commitment of others around the world to do things that some only dream of. For young girls, knowing women’s achievements shows them what is possible. Even for someone like me, a college student, seeing what other women have accomplished gives me the motivation to know that I can do anything I set my mind to.

As a double minority, being a Hispanic female, sometimes it seem like I got the short end of the stick. With months like Hispanic Heritage Month and Women’s History Month, I feel the opposite. I currently have the pleasure of serving as the Frosh Mosh Student Director for the Multicultural and Leadership Development Center (MLD) here at FGCU. I am also a worship team leader and an editor for Eagle News. Although that may not seem like a big deal to some, it’s a big deal to me. Being able to hold such high positions, not only gives me room to grow, but it allows others to hopefully see me and think, “if she could do it, so can I.” 

There have been inspirational women in my life including people like my aunt. She has taught me that no matter what others think or say, I have to focus on myself and the legacy I’m leaving behind. For all of us, knowing women’s strengths and contributions can help us build a sense of respect toward one another. It is not only crucial for children and adults now, but it can be just as crucial for future generations. We look back at history and the women in history that have made impactful movements. We commemorate the various achievements of women which can help us be that much close to gender equality and allow room for women’s empowerment.

Many women have made a difference in their communities and even the world as they have had the bravery and outstanding achievements to thrive. Women like Jane Austen, who is one of the most famous writers in English Literature, or Marie Curie, who was a physicist and chemist who conducted pioneering research on radioactivity, are women who changed the world.

Maya Angelou, an activist, journalist, actor, dancer and poet who used her work to empower others is another great example. Learning about the accomplishments of the past can allow the women of the present to act toward the future. A circle of inspiration is prevalent and celebrating Women’s History Month allows room for that.

Even Disney+ has the option to watch “Her Stories,” which is a collection of movies and shows that show women of impact, girl power, leading Latinas, sisterhood and so much more. MLD even emphasizes and promotes Women’s HERstory month as a way to show that their stories are important.

Be the person that you want to be regardless of what anyone else thinks or says. Don’t listen to negativity or hate. Following the dreams that you have can help build your character and self-esteem. Nothing is impossible and looking at those who came before you can show that.