Journalists Educate the World

Photo courtesy of AbsolutVision, Unsplash

Konstantinos Vranishti, Contributing Writer

From “Acta Diurna,” a gazette with social and political topics of Ancient Rome, to prestigious newspapers of modern days, such as The New York Times, journalism has been the lighthouse of truth at the altar of absolute transparency.  

To the question of why someone should choose journalism, the answer is relatively easy. Some individuals want to expand their irresistible curiosity by giving answers to all the whys and exploring all the blindspots that remain uncovered. 

“Journalism is the activity of gathering, assessing, creating, and presenting news and information,” per American Press Institute. 

It’s the profession that makes its members want to interact with all kinds of people from different backgrounds and cultures. They can build their network and discover new things while working in the field. Journalists undoubtedly have an advanced sense of social engagement and responsibility toward the public. 

“To me, it’s the ability to talk to people and tell stories about what’s going on around you. In your neighborhood, in your country, etc. To clearly communicate ideas and information using whatever tools work best,” said Judson Cribbs, a professor of journalism at FGCU. “I believe it’s a very important responsibility.” 

During the 20th century, journalism’s identity was tested. It became entangled with parallel actions, it was homogenized with other inappropriate genres, such as yellow journalism, and now, it’s going through one of its most significant crises. Perhaps because today, everybody feels like a reporter, using this advanced technology and having easy access to any journalist gadget. 

I tend to believe more in the second explanation, though. The phenomenon of yellow journalism or fake news increasing is a result of our society. Journalism is like a magnifying glass. It clearly highlights the flaws of an image or a society that thirsts for intrigues, conspiracy theories and public debauchery in order to satisfy its inordinate “lust” for cannibalism. 

Professions can be diversified or modified when the state recognizes its mistakes, puts them aside, and moves forward with new perceptions and ideas. There have been constant and often organized attacks against the press, but journalists continue to serve the public with a sense of duty and dedication toward the common good. 

“Journalism, in my eyes, is the art of conveying important information to a wide audience, often based through the media. It is a dynamic career that covers a wide range of topics,” said Kylie Vetter, a journalism student at FGCU.

Journalism can be operated through various outlets, such as print, radio, television, or social media nowadays. A journalist’s bible, which has to be reverently followed, is a dictionary that describes a professional’s ethics and credibility. Accuracy is the basic element for a journalist to become a good one. 

“Accuracy, fairness, and consent are three elements you should always remember throughout your journalism career to be ethical and fair,” said Vetter. 

The continuous difficulties that many workers who are engaged in this profession appear under adverse conditions and cause even more confusion. A reputable journalist is available 24/7 in order to be informed about the event, to carry out the corresponding investigation, to confirm the actions, and eventually, to come up with a conclusion and deliver it to the audience. 

The countless hours of work, the unpredictable weather conditions, and the silent witnesses who do not easily cooperate with reporters are some examples of the harsh everydayness of media people. 

“The one thing I make sure to do when writing and gathering information for all my stories is to constantly remind myself that ‘I am not a part of the story,’” said Abigail Muth, next year’s Editor-in-Chief of Eagle News at FGCU. “When acting as a journalist, my thoughts or opinions on the subject at hand have a mentally shut that part of myself down, whether I would normally agree or disagree with the subject.”

This profession seems like the irresistible attraction between Poulia and Avgerinos, the love story from Greek Mythology. It’s an endless dedication to satisfy our inner need for exploration and transparency. Even in our darkness days, humanity should stand for the truth at all costs. 

“You all students inspire me. I’m doing my best to make your skills look better, to have progress, and get ready for the market out there, having all the tools to succeed,” said Cribbs.

Journalism is indeed a grande amore for all these great professionals out there, who are doing outstanding work in order to keep the public well informed.