Hurricane Idalia and FGCU’s Storm Procedures

Gabriella Lopez

With Hurricane Idalia approaching, students and faculty are advised to take caution and stay informed on procedures to ensure their safety. 

Hurricanes and tropical storms can devastate homes bringing in massive winds of up to 157 mph and flooding that can reach over 20 feet. Hurricane Idalia is predicted to be a Category 3 hurricane with wind speeds up to 115 mph once it reaches landfall north of Tampa. The FGCU area is predicted to experience winds up to 80 mph with possible flooding.

FGCU moved to remote operations on Tuesday, Aug. 29 and Wednesday, Aug. 30. FGCU management will provide further information about operational plans Wednesday afternoon. Evacuation is not required for residential students, but they are advised to stay in housing throughout the storm. The dining hall will continue to be open from 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., but campus transportation will be closed. The Cohen Student Union, University and Recreation Center, Waterfront, Aquatics Center and residential pools, and the Wilson G. Bradshaw Library will all continue to be closed Wednesday.

When preparing for a storm such as Idalia, it’s important to know what resources you have. FGCU management has been monitoring the storms in collaboration with campus leadership to help give the most accurate and updated information. It’s essential to have an evacuation plan, supplies and think of any person or pet that needs assistance. Storm kits should include flashlights, water, nonperishable foods, batteries, and proper supplies for your pets.

FGCU Emergency Management recommends these resources to help plan ahead for dangerous storms and other natural disasters. 

FGCU uses the Rave Guardian Eagle App for emergency emails and information. Keep your contact information up to date so you can get information as soon as it is released. FGCU social media will have accurate information on storms and emergency situations. If you have any questions please contact [email protected].