Lessons From a College Senior: Advice to Incoming Freshmen

Photo by Unsplash

Entering my senior year feels like a fever dream. It’s crazy to think that four years ago I came to FGCU without a clue about how life would turn out. This is my last year at this school and there are so many things that I have learned while being here. For any incoming freshmen without a clue what to do, I was in your shoes.

One of the first pieces of advice that I can share is to get involved on campus. I cannot stress this enough. Being involved is great, but more specifically get involved in the things you love. Use your passion and what you’re good at to find organizations on campus to be a part of, even if it’s a small group of your peers.

One of the organizations that truly helped me grow as a person was the Multicultural and Leadership Development Center (MLD). I went from being someone who was shy and reserved to the Student Director of the Frosh Mosh Experience. There are a multitude of experiences that promote leadership, diversity, inclusion and foster community. It really is the “living room” on campus. If you ever want to go to the MLD Center and just hang out, you’ll always be more than welcome.

Another organization I became a part of was Chi Alpha. I am a believer in Christ and finding a religious organization on campus was a must for me. As a Christian, I wanted to find a community that shared my beliefs and, through that, I joined the worship team. There are so many things to do on campus, from jobs to sports to artistic registered organizations, and finding a community of people that are interested in the same things as you can help you feel more at home on campus.

Another piece of advice is to utilize websites such as Rate My Professors to find out more about your professors before you have the opportunity to meet them. I suggest you take into consideration that everyone can have different experiences. I have had some teachers with low scores on Rate My Professors that I still learned a lot from. It is still a good tool to use if you’re like me and want to know as much information as you can about a professor. You can see whether they usually count attendance, how they grade, if they provide feedback and much more.

Something else that I find pretty big is just being yourself. You don’t have to be somebody else to fit in. College is the time to explore and find out who you are if you don’t already know. And if you do know who you are, college may be the time to continue to grow. Being the best version of yourself is great, but making mistakes is also okay. It makes you human. Don’t get so caught up in the little things.

As someone who doesn’t always live in the moment, I will say I have learned to do that more and more as I spend time at FGCU. You’re only here for so long, so take advantage of all the things this school has to offer. That includes taking advantage of the resources on campus such as Student Health Services, study groups, Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS), etc. Also take advantage of the people, events and organizations that are here. Being a senior makes me wish I took advantage of more while I had the opportunity.

Don’t forget to study when you need to, and remember that school is your priority. While your social life is significant, getting the grades that you want to make it to graduation is just as important. I know sometimes it can get tiring and there may be days where you feel burnt out, but that’s perfectly okay. Just do your best to have a support system, whether that be friends, family, professors or even professionals. Having a support system can make life a little bit easier. Take my advice and make the most out of your college experience. You only live once!