Top Ten Common Reasons for Picking FGCU

Alyssa Oquendo

The top 10 reasons for choosing FGCU, in no particular order, are listed below:

1. The environment: FGCU is situated on a nature preserve, meaning that students who attend our university get to see the wonders of nature every day. From the SoVi gator to the palm trees on main campus and the Waterfront in North Lake Village, FGCU is situated on a beautiful patch of land, and students get to marvel at the beauty of Southwest Florida every day.
  2. The dorms: The privacy of individual bedrooms is a perk for more introverted students. Where most universities make their students share their bedrooms with at least one person, the vast majority of the rooms at FGCU are single occupancy, with students only sharing bathrooms, common spaces and kitchens with roommates. 
  3. Tuition: With Florida being one of the cheapest states in terms of tuition, FGCU is high on the list for students looking to avoid student loan debt. The scholarships available to students in need, combined with Bright Futures and Florida Prepaid for those who are eligible, can even eliminate tuition costs altogether. 
  4. Small campus community: With only roughly 16,000 students in attendance, FGCU is one of the smallest schools in the state of Florida. While Florida State University and the University of Florida have easily doubled the population of FGCU, students here can look forward to having much smaller class sizes with the average lecture having a 20:1 student-to-faculty ratio. 
  5. Commitment to sustainability: FGCU’s commitment to sustainability is a big draw for those interested in pursuing a career in environmental studies, engineering, or policy. The university’s commitment to sustainability also allures to those who are conservation-minded, and the recent opening of the Water School offers opportunities to research and learn about various environmental aspects. 
  6. Research opportunities: FGCU offers several research opportunities from the digital badge program to independent study, completing an honors thesis and more. Several degree programs, like criminal justice and political science, require students to complete a course called senior seminar where they must complete a research paper on a topic of their choosing. Students in the Honors College can also complete an undergraduate thesis during their time of study, earn class credit towards graduation and present their projects through their thesis defense and at events like the Southern Regional Honors Council Conference, which was most recently held in Charlotte, North Carolina. 
  7. The Honors Program: The FGCU Honors College is a big draw for those who are academically minded. From the special honors courses like Topics in Wildlife and Florida Man Studies, the Honors College offers plenty of opportunities to explore unique subjects. Students can also live in primarily honors housing, which provides them with a chance to meet like-minded people and make connections. 
  8. Available Activities: With endless clubs and student organizations, everyone can find their niche at FGCU. From cooking clubs to pause for paws, students can find their home within identity-based groups, professional organizations and everything in between. 
  9. Close to home: Students from the area can choose FGCU as an affordable alternative to out-of-state schools. FGCU has a large commuter population, and instead of paying for room and board, students who choose to stay at home can save money and maintain closer connections with their families than those who leave the state.
  10. Commitment to service: Those looking to attend some form of graduate school and anyone with an outside interest in serving their community can find their home at FGCU. With the 80-hour service requirement for first-time college students and the 40-service hour requirement for transfer students or those coming in with prior credits from dual enrollment, FGCU provides students a chance to get involved in their community while making themselves more competitive for jobs and graduate schools in the process.