Involvement Beat: Beach Club Got Down and Sandy with Dogs Visiting Dog Beach

Alyssa Oquendo

Welcome to the Involvement Beat, a new weekly recap on events and initiatives from FGCU Registered Student Organizations, Sport Clubs and Departments! 

Last week, students were treated to Cooking Club’s first Cooking 101 event, where they learned how to make inexpensive college eats. The students who attended were split into three groups and sent to several stations within the event. Each station was in charge of making its own dish. There were DIY ramen bowls, cheese and bean quesadillas and cake pops using store bought mix. Despite the simplicity of teh recipes, they still required skill. Students learned how to safely exhibit knife work, the art of double boiling chocolate and how to use a food processor. At the end of their lesson, dinner was served and teams were able to try each station’s creations. Everyone did an amazing job and the food turned out delicious! Cooking Club’s next event, Hispanic Heritage Cookout, will celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month and feature Latin based RSOs. 

Beach Club also hosted their first outing last week, where students went to Dog Beach in Bonita Springs. As the name implies, the beach is a dog friendly space where students had fun swimming and tossing tennis balls with the dogs that were there. They also brought lawn games, like SpikeBall and cornhole. Due to the heat, the Beach Club supplied plenty of water bottles. It was a wonderful evening by the beach watching the sunset and meeting new members! Beach Club will be hosting their next trip on September 16th, and the location will be revealed soon!