FGCU Pi Kappa Alpha Remembers Those Lost on 9/11

photo taken from Pi Kappa Alpha’s Instagram

FGCU’s Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity hosted a ceremony and memorial stair climb in Naples on Sunday Sept. 10. The fraternity held the ceremony to honor first responders killed during the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. 

Pi Kappa Alpha members, along with the Collier County Fire Department, climbed up the hotel’s staircase to honor the FDNY firefighters killed on 9/11. They climbed the equivalent of 110 flights of stairs, symbolizing the World Trade Center’s 110 floors.

A table was featured at the ceremony with photos of NYPD officers and FDNY firefighters who died during the terrorist attacks. Each fraternity member wore one of these photos around their neck during the stair climb. 

“When you’re doing the stair climb, you’re climbing with those people,” said Pi Kappa Alpha member AJ Sarlo. “It’s a way to remember them.” 

In addition to the memorial stair climb, Pi Kappa Alpha held a ceremony to show their appreciation for first responders. They had lunch with some of the community’s firefighters and police officers. Additionally, officers from the Collier County Sheriff’s Office spoke at the event, remembering the fallen 9/11 first responders.

“It was just a good event, and it was catered very well by the Naples Grande,” said Pike member Alex Maya. 

The event was organized by the Brotherhood Ride group, who partnered with the fraternity. They are a nonprofit organization who provide financial support to families of emergency responders who died in the line of duty. Brotherhood Ride memorializes their sacrifices by riding bikes across the United States. 

Pi Kappa Alpha has a history of working closely with first responders. The fraternity’s primary philanthropy is Fallen Heroes, which is the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund. They are a nonprofit organization that honors law enforcement officers who died in the line of duty and their families.