How Do Your Physical Surroundings Shape Your Life?

Photo By: Unsplash

Physical surroundings can impact or shape our lives in many ways, such as in school or work. There are things that we can control about our surroundings and others that we have no say in. This is why surroundings can make an impact on our lives, because many times it affects all our behaviors. This can be seen in many aspects of our personal and professional lives. 

In my case, my behaviors at any time can shift just because of my surroundings. When I am in school, I try to go to calm and quiet places so that I can concentrate and do some of my assignments. If, instead of being in the library, I were to be in Starbucks, this could dictate whether or not I can finish my homework. I feel as if my total concentration is only achieved when I am at a place where I can listen to my thoughts and then ideas start flowing. I have been having lunch sometimes with my classmates, and I see that they can do their assigned work while eating, but for me, that is never the case. I need to be by myself and in a place where I do not feel disturbed. Aside from this, I like it when I am surrounded by good professors who help me to succeed. I appreciate all the feedback that I can get so I can be ready for the real world once I graduate. It feels great to be surrounded by people who want us to succeed and help us get to where we need to be. This is one thing that I am super thankful for by being at FGCU.

My surroundings can also influence how I work because an excellent work environment can make the difference between enjoying work and being efficient when working through my to-do list. For instance, I have had jobs with harmful environments, which made me not want to go to work. I could feel my energy being drained. In contrast, I have had jobs where I felt like part of the family. They had a pleasant environment with excellent staff who cared about each other. This made all the difference in my motivation and the work I put into my job. When being in a decent work environment, a positive atmosphere is created. Instead of just boss and employee relationships, it establishes companionship and friendship. 

I believe that we can only give back what we receive. For instance, if we have a good environment at work, we will be more productive and produce satisfactory results for the company. When we enjoy what we do, we do not see it as work but as part of our lives. Having a positive and healthy environment is critical in our lives because it can help us become the best version of ourselves. When we do what we like, it feels as if the payment does not matter as long as we are happy and thriving.