Outside the Nest

A weekly recap of local, state and national news (week of 10/9)
Gabriella Lopez

Local: 

Cape Coral Jaycee Park Construction Plan Underway, Community Members are Unsure

Cape Coral officials are planning to go through with the construction of Jaycee Park improvements, despite talks against it. According to the News-Press, “I’ve listened to all of you, I disagree with you on this one,” Councilmember Tom Hayden said when addressing where he stood on the improvements. “As far as this park is concerned and the enhancements coming to it, I like them.” Updated plans for the park are expected to have hundreds of trees, tighter parking and equipment fit for the disabled. Over two dozen citizens have spoken with the councilman, and he plans to proceed with the plans. Estimates of the project are predicted to cost $12 million as the project is underway. 

Animal Cremation Facility Catches Fire Affecting Local Businesses

A fire at Peak Meadow Drive Thursday night has had a major effect on local businesses after an unknown cause. According to Wink, the flames were able to be put out. The information on how much damage local buildings have been affected is yet to be determined. No injuries were reported at the scene of the fire. There was a roadblock past U.S. 41 to Crestwood Academy due to the fire.

Fort Myers Kicks Off OktoberFest

Southwest Florida’s first and largest brewing company, Fort Myers Brewery, will have craft beer as the main event. According to Fox4, the brewery will have more than 50 beers on the menu and will continue to add new ones as the night progresses. The event will continue to run until October 15 and will have activities for the entire family. Pets will be allowed. There will even be traditional competitions like stein-hoisting to see who can hold out a full stein of beer the longest and keg-curling where contestants can test their strength.

Warehouse In Fort Myers Catches Fire 

Parks Meadow Drive in the Villas had a building catch fire around 8:40 at 1941 Park Meadows Drive on Thursday, Oct. 12. According to NBC2, The fire caught place at a commercial building and devastated several buildings in the local area. The drive has been shut down and further information is being investigated on the causes of the fire and if any casualties happened. Another fire also happened that Thursday night, at the Pet Angel Memorial Center and may be the direct source of the fire. The South Trail Fire Department is looking into further causes of the fire.

State:

17 Florida Deputies Involved In $500,000 Pandemic Relief Scandal

On Thursday, Oct. 12, 17 Florida deputies appeared in court after being accused of stealing half a million dollars during the Covid-19 pandemic. According to U.S. News, Broward County deputies have been accused of multiple charges including fraud and wire fraud. Eight law enforcement deputies and nine detention deputies have now been suspended. The department is going through the legal processes of firing these deputies according to Sheriff Gregory Tony. Paycheck Protection Program and the Economic Injury Disaster Loan program was the victim of this crime resulting in a $500,000 robbery.

Desantis to Evacuate Floridians after Israel Conflict Intensifies 

As the war in Israel continues, Desantis plans to evacuate Floridians from the conflict zone. Gov. Desantis’ press team made the announcement that Floridians were a majority involved with 20,000 Americans being trapped away from friends and family. Orders signed by Desantis will allow Florida’s Division of Emergency to help Floridians. According to ABC, “This Executive Order allows the State of Florida to carry out logistical, rescue and evacuation operations to keep its residents safe,” said DeSantis Communications Director Jason Mahon.

Florida’s Citrus Expecting To Improve After A Year Since Hurricane

According to data reached on Thursday, Oct. 13, Florida’s citrus crop is supposed to improve after suffering due to the recent hurricanes. According to ABC, Florida is predicted to produce 20.5 million boxes of oranges, a major increase from last year’s 15.8 million. Grapefruit is predicted to be affected as well, increasing to a total of 1.9 million boxes compared to last year’s 1.8 million. Florida has remained the top orange producer until last year having California move past it in the rankings after Hurricane Ian and Nicole. Citrus production has slowly been decreasing due to ongoing disease issues.

Property Insurance Claims Timeline Continue to Remain Uncertain

The state of Florida continues to wait for the promised property insurance relief plan as things are looking unsure for citizens. “People are suffering now,” said Florida Senator Bobby Powell, D West Palm Beach. According to FOX4, Yaworsky, the state’s chief insurance regulator, spoke with the News Press about the matter. The commission, however, continues to warn Florida legislatures that there hasn’t been enough time to let the market take effect. Some have speculated that Florida’s market dip was due to inflation. Powell is among some of the Democrats who are wondering if the legislature needs more hands-on action such as rate caps or a national pool.

National: 

Scalise Drops Out of U.S. House-Senate Race

Steve Scalise, who the people chose to be the next speaker for the The House of Representatives has dropped out of the race. Scalise’s party failed to dissolve arguments after 10 days without leadership. He was planning to replace Speaker Kevin McCarthy but was unable to due to being short 217 votes as his party had disagreements on voting for him. According to Reuters, “It’s going to be hard,” Representative Greg Murphy said. “Personally, I think it may end up being a compromise candidate.” Patrick McHenry is seen to be a possible fallback candidate if no one gains enough votes.

Four Methods Of Ukraine Financial Aid

Since January 2022, Ukraine has been receiving nearly $350 billion in help from Western nations. With Ukraine’s fight with Russia and its massive economy and military presence, there have been fears that one of the biggest supporters of Ukraine won’t be able to support them financially.  The U.S. has dealt with heated debates over the spending of finances for Ukraine leading to a stopgap funding bill. According to CNN, nearly half of the $100 billion donated is from the U.S. according to data from the Kiel Institute for the World Economy through July 2023.

Biden Condemns Hamas Attack as “Evil” Stands With Israel 

On Saturday, Oct. 7, Hamas militants attacked Israel killing more than 900 people. Israel responded by bombing the Gaza Strip. According to NPR, “Like every nation in the world, Israel has the right to respond — indeed has a duty to respond — to these vicious attacks,” President Biden said. Biden is in full support of Israel and spent the past weekend making calls with allies and working with his national security team. According to President Biden, the U.S. plans to send troops to replenish the Iron Dome, the Israeli air defense system.

NASA to Launch Trip-to-Year Asteroid Mission

NASA plans to start an almost 6-year journey to a mysterious asteroid. The asteroid appears to strangely be made of mostly metal. According to NPR, “This will be our first time visiting a world that has a metal surface,” says Lindy Elkins-Tanton of Arizona State University. If reached, the asteroid could give essential information about how the early events of the solar system took place in forming the plants with metal cores including Earth. The asteroid named Psyche is roughly the size of Massachusetts ans was discovered in 1852.