FGCU’s Beach Club Makes a Splash This Semester

Dionara McDermott

FGCU has numerous clubs that allow students to get involved in things they are interested in. The FGCU Beach Club has taken the forefront this fall semester as one of the quickest-growing clubs around campus.

Beach Club was founded by Garrett Denam, the club president, last spring with the goal of bringing like-minded people together while having fun at the beach. It had a slow start, but grew quickly as this semester has progressed.

After extensively advertising their upcoming club events, members started to see an increase in participation. Events that would have previously had 10-20 people started seeing over 100 students attending. A club gathering held at Bonita Beach was one of their biggest events so far. 

In the spring, they only needed a few officers to manage the group, but now that they have seen an increase in event attendees, they have also increased their number of staffers. Officers’ duties involve making decisions about monthly schedules and planning the beach related activities that students will be participating in.

“A lot of times we’ll have officer meetings between ourselves, and we’ll  just kind of go to what beach we haven’t been to yet. Obviously, there are not too many others in the area,” Denam said.

Students have the option to drive in their own vehicle or participate in the carpool system that meets outside of Eagles Landing when driving to club events. Students can sign up when they need transportation through Eaglelink.

At Beach Club events, students can play Spikeball, football, sand volleyball or any of the other games that were brought to the beach that day. Many students go to the beach to hang out, talk to friends and meet new people, which is a big reason why the founders of Beach Club started hosting these events.

Beach Club strives to be a place where students can meet new people and create new experiences.

“There’s no downside to the beach club, which is a fun place to meet new people and be active,” Beach Club Secretary, Cameron Dunn, said.

For anyone interested in joining the Beach Club, students can join through their Eaglelink.