FGCU Board of Trustees Approves New Strategic Plan

Jessica Piland

Over the past year, the FGCU Strategic Planning Steering Committee has been working on creating the 2024-2029 Strategic Plan, which was approved by the Board of Trustees on Dec. 7.

The strategic plan is a roadmap for the university and its decision-making processes in the future, containing some of FGCU’s goals and objectives.

“You find our vibrant and responsive nature reflected in our updated mission and vision statements” President Aysegul Timur said when presenting the strategic plan before the Board of Trustees on Dec. 7.

The strategic plan is made up of five main goals: “Innovate in Academic Excellence,” “Enhance Student Success and Well-being,” “Elevate Partnerships for Regional Impact,” “Strengthen Organizational Culture and Commitment to Employees” and “Champion Sustainable Practices and Resiliency.” 

“In the plan you will find three P’s reflected. Passion, partnership and performance,” President Timur said. 

The new strategic plan also includes updated mission and vision statements. 

Some of the performance metrics set for the year 2029 by the strategic plan for “Innovating in Academic Excellence” include a first time college graduation rate of more than 52%, and more than 67% of bachelor’s graduates employed making $40,000 per year or enrolled in higher education. These performance metrics originate from the 2023 FGCU accountability plan. 

The performance metrics for the “Enhancing Student Success and Well-Being” goal include an average cost to students of $9,500, 65% of students graduating without student loan debt and achievement of the Hispanic Serving institution (HSI) designation. In order for FGCU to be designated as an HSI, it must have 25% of its enrolled students be Hispanic. It was first made into law under the Higher Education Act of 1965.

Some of the performance metrics for the “Elevate Partnerships for Regional Impact” goal include a 100% increase in alumni gifts, 200% increase in alumni participation in Alumni Association sponsored events and more than 80% of graduates exceeding their service-learning requirements. 

FGCU is also aiming to establish an interdisciplinary research institute by 2025, establish a baseline for total number of scholarly publications and grants related to sustainability and create a nationally recognized FGCU sustainability and resiliency micro credential by 2026. 

The 2024-2029 Strategic Plan Steering Committee was made up of the deans from all six colleges and the library, a representative from the faculty senate, a representative from student government, alumni, students and University Marketing.  

“I had a very productive meeting with [Florida Board of Governors] Chair Lamb about the strategic plan … and it was aligned with the State University System and received very positive feedback,” President Timur said.

At the Board of Trustees meeting on Jan. 9, the board voted unanimously to amend the strategic plan, adding an “FGCU Statement of Free Expression.”

According to the Jan. 9 BOT agenda, this amendment was requested “as required by the Florida Board of Governors.”

The FGCU Statement of Free Expression is a statement saying that “Florida Gulf Coast University vigorously protects freedom of inquiry and expression and categorically expects civility and mutual respect to be practiced by faculty, students and staff in all deliberations on its campus.  As such, the FGCU Community as well as the Florida Gulf Coast University Board of Trustees shares the commitment of the State University System of Florida and the Florida Board of Governors to civil discourse and endorses their commitment with this Statement of Free Expression.” 

The statement of free expression was approved by the FGCU Presidential Cabinet on May 11, 2022. 

President Timur will present the strategic plan at the Board of Governors meeting on Jan. 24.