Tindell becomes FGCU all-time leading scorer after weekend shutouts

Sophomore Tabby Tindell became the FGCU women’s soccer program’s all-time leading scorer after contributing two goals in a three-goal shutout against CSU Bakersfield Sunday afternoon.
“This is an amazing feeling,” Tindell said after the Eagles’ second shut out of the weekend. “I’m really happy about it but I’m trying not to focus on it.”
Although she was fully aware of how close she was to breaking the record, it wasn’t Tindell’s ultimate goal for the afternoon.
“I thought to myself that (breaking the record) would be nice, but it wasn’t like ‘alright, I’m going to go get it,'” she said.
“Tabby has been unbelievable,” said FGCU head coach Jim Blankenship. “Tabby is a very, very motivated kid and a very humble kid. We’re blessed to have her and I believe she’ll continue to do incredible things because she’s grounded and focuses more on our team doing well.”
Both of Tindell’s record breaking two goals came in the first five minutes of Sunday’s game, giving the Eagles an early 2-0 lead on the Roadrunners. Her first goal came in the third minute after breaking away with an assist from Paulina Speckmaier to ease past Bakersfield’s goalkeeper.
Just after an announcement of her tie with 2010 alum Amber MacCall’s career goals record, Tindell immediately sent another ball into the back of CSU’s net to solidify her new found title. The record breaking goal marks the 25th  goal in her career and 10th goal this season for the Ocala native.
“(After the first goal) I was getting really excited about it, especially since we scored so early in the game,” Tindell said. “We got really amped and the second goal was just a lucky spot I was in. Shannen took an great spot and I just so happened to bounce right in front of me, so it was pretty convenient.”
MacCall, an Estero High grad, held the all-time leading scorer record prior to Sunday’s game with a total of 24 goals in her three seasons with the Eagles. Senior Shannen Wacker tied MacCall’s record Friday night after contributing her second goal of the season in another three-goal shutout against Wofford.
Later in the first half, Speckmaier pushed FGCU’s lead with another goal for the Eagles in the 25th minute to give FGCU a comfortable 3-0 lead and a chance to allow all of FGCU’s players to see field time.
“These games are always hard,” Tindell said after the team’s fifth shutout of the season. “It’s easy to get pumped up for teams like Texas A&M and Miami cause those are such big schools and you want to play. But it’s the smaller schools that go unnoticed are the ones that sneak up on you and really hurt you in the season.  It was a great game I’m glad we got to get out of here with a win.”
The Eagles will spend the next two weeks on the road following a weekend of shutouts at home. On Friday FGCU will travel to Jacksonville to take on North Florida, followed by a trip up north to Philadelphia to take on La Salle.