Veterans Day 5K will support Wounded Warriors Project

It takes courage to work for your country, but it takes even more courage to fight for it. This year, Counseling and Psychological Services is holding a 5K in honor of Florida Gulf Coast University students who served.
Kelly Rubin, the substance abuse clinician for CAPS, decided to start a new tradition this year. The first Veterans Day 5K will take place at 8 a.m. Tuesday, Nov. 11 at FGCU. All proceeds will be donated to the Wounded Warrior Project,  a nonprofit organization that serves American veterans wounded in active service duty by offering a variety of programs and events with the purpose of honoring and empowering them. According to the WWP official webpage, woundedwarriorproject.org, its motto is, “The greatest casualty is being forgotten.”
Rubin was inspired by the psychiatrist in CAPS, Dr.  John Prater, since he is a Vietnam veteran.
“I am actively involved with other organizations that raise awareness for the Wounded Warrior Project.” Rubin said. “I thought this project could be a great way to do that, too.”
Rubin believes this project is important not only to raise awareness and funds, but to honor the veterans as well.
“To pay tribute and honor to the students who served,” Rubin said. “To say thank you.” ​
According to Rubin, approximately 40 participants are currently registered for the 5K. She hopes this number will increase with the years. “We are a small production this year, but we hope to start an annual tradition and grow.” Rubin said.
Registration fees are $10 for veterans, $15 for FGCU and high school students and $20 for other members of the community that are non-student/non-military. The sign in and packet pickup for the 5K will begin at 7 a.m. in the Veterans Pavilion on the Library Lawn of the main campus. The national anthem will be sung. The race will start in the bus loop on main campus, which will also be the finish line. Anyone interested in registering for the 5K can go to active.com. Registration will be open until Nov. 10.
“This project puts our university in light. We are showing this is something we care about and value,” Rubin said.
Thea Windsor, senior psychology major, is the president of the Students Who Served organization on campus. She is an Afghanistan veteran. “It’s a great project,” Windsor said. “Our university will become more veteran-friendly. It will definitely bring a sense of togetherness to our university and community.”
“This University has never held that standpoint before. It will be very interesting to see if it will be kept in the continuing years.” Windsor said.
Windsor emphasized the need for awareness on campus. “Veterans can only succeed as much as their counterparts allow them to,” Windsor said. “It is very important to raise awareness.”