Second FGCU student death this year

Florida Gulf Coast University grieves its second student death this semester. Mary Albertson, a junior management major from Gainesville passed away Sunday, Nov. 9. FGCU spokesperson Susan Evans confirmed the death Monday morning saying that on “Saturday she was transported to a local hospital … We grieve her loss, and our deepest thoughts and prayers are with Mary’s family and her friends.”
Albertson was a member of Tri Delta on campus. Members of Tri Delta, the Greek community, and all of FGCU are in grieving.
Eagle News obtained the Lee County Sheriff’s Office report which stated that at 3:06 p.m. on Saturday, a call was received in reference to a possible suicide. A family friend of Albertson was asked by concerned friends and family to check on Albertson in her Estero home. When the deputy arrived, he entered the home and found Albertson “on the bed poorly breathing and convulsing.” The report claims “took only narc/drugs” as the method. Albertson was then transported to a local hospital.
There is a Mary Albertson fund on GoFundMe where students and members of the community can show their support by donating. All proceeds will go toward St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, Tri Delta’s philanthropy. On Nov. 22 Tri Delta is hosting a ceremony for Mary at the St. Jude give thanks walk. Tri Delta has created a team in her honor.
FGCU’s Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) is available to speak with anyone in mourning who needs support.