#FGCUHateWeek- Northern Kentucky talks trash on social media

FGCU’s Brett Comer shoots a layup on  Northern Kentucky during the Eagles’ game against the Norse on Jan.  31. (EN Photo / Kelli Krebs)
FGCU’s Brett Comer shoots a layup on Northern Kentucky during the Eagles’ game against the Norse on Jan. 31. (EN Photo / Kelli Krebs)

If you are in need of a good laugh this week, allow me to update you on a trend that is spreading on the campus of one of our rival schools, and I am using the term “rival” very loosely. In the lives of students at a less-than-intimidating school by the name of Northern Kentucky University, they have found themselves wasting time celebrating what they like to call Florida Gulf Coast University Hate Week.

I can only assume this is their way of coming to terms with the inevitable fate of losing once again — for the second time this season — to FGCU’s women and men’s basketball teams on Thursday, Feb. 12.

Call me crazy, but if I were to find myself attending a school with a conference record of 3-4 in comparison to FGCU’s 6-1, I would be far more concerned with improving the skills of the basketball players rather than hating on the team that will undoubtedly put any dreams of NCAA brackets with NKU on them to rest. But I can only assume that this is how non-threatening A-Sun basketball teams prepare for double-headers.

In all honesty, I would hate us, too. Not every school has a music video proclaiming the god-like dunks of their basketball team that rightfully landed them the title of Dunk City. FGCU is where winners are bred, so it only makes sense that less adequate competitors such as NK-Who would retaliate in this form of hate because they most certainly won’t be able to retaliate on the basketball court.

Screenshot of tweets under the #FGCUHateWeek hashtag

Besides, everyone knows that you have to actually care enough about someone in order to hate them, so keep on hating, Kentucky Jr. I think I speak for all of our Dirty Birds when I express our complete indifference toward NKU. As far as I’m concerned, they are just a quick warmup game on FGCU’s way to revisit the NCAA Tournament and remind the world of what put us on the map in the first place — great basketball.