FGCU Women draw rematch of Oklahoma State

DyTiesha Dunson and the rest of the women's basketball team reacts to hearing they will be playing Oklahoma State again in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament. (EN Photo / Kelli Krebs)
DyTiesha Dunson and the rest of the women’s basketball team reacts to hearing they will be playing Oklahoma State again in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament. (EN Photo / Kelli Krebs)

A rematch.
That’s the best way to describe Florida Gulf Coast University’s draw in the 2015 NCAA tournament.
The Eagles, who finished the season 30-2, received their highest draw ever as they are a 7-seed playing against 10-seeded Oklahoma State in Tallahassee Saturday, March 21 at 11 a.m. on ESPN2.
“We’re just excited to be in the NCAA tournament,” FGCU head coach Karl Smesko said. “The rematch aspect of the game makes it interesting. We have a lot of respect for Oklahoma State.”
If some of these names are sounding familiar it’s because they are. In 2014 FGCU lost a heartbreaker to Oklahoma State in overtime in West Lafayette, Indiana 61-60. In 2012 FGCU lost another heart breaker to St. Bonaventure in Tallahassee 72-65. That game also went into OT.
In both of those matches FGCU was the 12 seed and held a double-digit lead late in the game, but this time the tables have turned. They are now the higher seed and the favorites.
But like previous selection shows, the wait was killer.
First region announced. No FGCU.
Second region announced. No FGCU.
Third region announced and it was the Greensboro regional. This was the region that all the experts had FGCU playing in. Most had them as a 9-seed playing in Colombia, South Carolina. When the 8/9 matchup was announced a huge cheer erupted.
No FGCU.
FGCU women's head coach Karl Smesko speaks to fans at Monday's selection show watch party after hearing the news of Saturday's opponent. (EN Photo / Kelli Krebs)
FGCU women’s head coach Karl Smesko speaks to fans at Monday’s selection show watch party after hearing the news of Saturday’s opponent. (EN Photo / Kelli Krebs)

At 7:29 p.m. three words appeared on the screen and there was a sense of joy that filled the air.
7) FLORIDA GULF COAST
10) OKLAHOMA STATE
But don’t think the players were just happy to be playing close to home in Tallahassee, they remember what Oklahoma State did to them last year.
“My first initial reaction was like ‘how in the world did that happen? How did we get Oklahoma State again?’” FGCU senior Jenna Cobb said. “I honestly didn’t even see what seed we were at first because of what seed we were.”
Cobb wasn’t the only player to get really excited for the rematch. Redshirt junior Whitney Knight, who scored 11 against Oklahoma State last year, is really looking forward to playing them again.
“It definitely has weighed on my mind a lot this year,” Knight said. “I think it’s crazy that we did get that rematch because I know that’s been stuck in our minds this entire season. I think it’s extra motivation for us.”
If FGCU were to win on Saturday they would face the winner of Florida State, the No. 2 seed, and Alabama State, the No. 15 seed, on Monday night at 6 p.m. on ESPNU.