Tropical storm and chill? Ten things to watch while waiting out the storm

Whether Tropical Storm Erika turns into a hurricane or just another Florida summer storm, here’s a few movies and series on Netflix to pass the time with.

1. Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues
  • The only source of Hurricane Erika news I want comes from Ron Burgundy himself. Remember to stay classy (and safe), FGCU.
  1. House of Cards
  • It’s time to dive into the show all your friends are bugging you to watch. Don’t worry, all the episodes are there and ready for your ideal binge-watching weekend.
  1. Parenthood
  • Even if you won’t be able to head home and be with family during the storm, this show will make you feel as warm and safe as if you were — thanks to the Braverman clan. They will gladly adopt you into their dysfunctional family for the time being.
  1. They Came Together
  • This isn’t your typical romantic comedy because it’s real life. Amy Poehler and Paul Rudd’s characters tell the story of how their unusual relationship came to be.
  1. Portlandia
  • This sketch comedy is a great way to pass the time, especially when it features top-notch performers, Fred Armisen (Saturday Night Live) and Carrie Brownstein.
  1. Parks & Recreation
  • Parks & Rec is one of those shows that you don’t have to watch in order or even pay attention to most of the episode to get a few laughs out of. The mockumentary-style show follows the lives of members in the Pawnee, Indiana Parks and Recreation Department as they try to beautify the town.
  1. BoJack Horseman
  • With only two, short seasons containing 20-minute episodes, BoJack is an easy watch for a weekend of being barricaded in your dorm. The satirical cartoon is about a washed up ‘90s sitcom star, BoJack, hoping to make it as the next comeback star.
  1. Wayne’s World
  • Adapted from an old SNL skit, Wayne’s World is an excellent movie about two slacker, public access show hosts, Wayne (Mike Myers) and Garth (Dana Carvey), trying to save their show. Plus, who doesn’t love a headbanging Bohemian Rhapsody sing-along scene?
  1. Airplane!
  • Old ‘80s movies are always the best, and Airplane! is the best of them all. “Surely, you can’t be serious?” “I am serious, and don’t call me Shirley.” You’ll be laughing through the whole storm with this movie on.
  1. Orange is the New Black
  • A Netflix-produced series, OITNB has the perfect combination of drama and comedy to make it the perfect show to binge-watch. The show follows the life of Piper Chapman and the rest of the women behind bars in a minimum-security women’s prison.