The Disney College Program: Why I recommend it

Some people choose to study abroad for a semester during college, but I chose to work for a mouse.
And, not just any mouse. I’m talking about the one and only, the big cheese himself, the one who started it all: Mickey Mouse. For five months, I worked in the most magical place on earth.
It was the best time of my life.

(EN Photo / Monet Massa-Sena)
(EN Photo / Monet Massa-Sena)

As we begin the fall semester, we also enter the application season for the spring 2016 Disney College Program.
My advice? Apply.
Here are a few reasons why I recommend spending a semester making magic in Walt Disney World or Disneyland:

1. It looks killer on a resume. The Walt Disney Company is a Fortune 500 Company, so having anything Disney related on your resume will, without a doubt, puts you ahead of other applicants.
  2. You will learn valuable life skills. Working at least 35 to 40 hours a week and having to pay rent weekly gives you a taste of how the real world will be, which isn’t such a bad thing. It teaches you how to be responsible with your money and time, and those aren’t lessons you can get in a classroom.
  3. You get exposed to various cultures. You will be working with people from all over the country and the world, so it’s likely that you’ll learn about other cultures while in the program. And, if you want more world exposure, head on over to Epcot and take a stroll through the World Showcase. One minute you’re enjoying quiche in France, and the next, you’re watching a flag ceremony in Italy.
  4. You make friends for life. The best part of the program, in my opinion, is the friendships you make along the way. They will be your backbone, and you will be theirs. Whether they’re your coworkers, roommates or random people you meet at House of Blues one night, they will make your program worthwhile. And, honestly, your friendships will be the best souvenir you acquire from your time at Disney.
  5. Working at Disney has its benefits, and they are good. Not only do you get free admission to the parks (including the ability to park hop), but you also get guest passes that allow you to bring family and friends into the parks for up to six days. In addition, you get discounts on merchandise, dining, resorts, Disney cruises and experiences throughout the parks. You even get discounts at various businesses outside of Disney property too.
  6. You learn a lot about yourself. The person you are at the beginning of the program is not the same person you will be at the end, and only you can determine if you will be better or worse. This program will change you because it will challenge you, and how you choose to handle everything will show you what kind of person you are. This program is a good place to reinvent yourself, and you just might discover a new passion or a new career goal in the process.

The Disney College Program is a once in a lifetime experience, and if you have ever considered applying, the time to do it is now. Take that leap of faith because that one little leap could end up being the beginning of the rest of your life.