Pumpkin everything, everywhere

It has its own acronym: PSL. It’s not hard to decipher if you’re a true fan. Think. And when you’ve thought hard, think harder.
I’m talking pumpkin spice latte. And this is by no means singling out the latte trend. The entire pumpkin flavored community deserves recognition, Pop-Tarts included. So, I’ve compiled a list of the best places to get your favorite pumpkin-flavored goodies this season, even though this should be a lifestyle and not just a seasonal craze.
Latte: I’ll start with the most obvious of options. My beverage of choice all yearround (even though only served August-December) is Starbucks’ Pumpkin Spice Latte. I refill my Starbucks card every other day this time of year, with amounts I will not disclose because of my unhealthy addiction to these things. But I do justify the “unhealthy” by getting non-fat milk and adding whipped cream. They cancel out each other, right?
Regarding donuts, I have two words: Dunkin’ Munchkins. Dunkin’ Donuts has truly outdone itself this year by adding two more pumpkin flavored items to its menu, but the reigning option goes to the glazed pumpkin cake Munchkins. Granted, the pumpkin cake donut they offer is the exact same recipe, but I prefer my breakfast treats spherical, miniature and adorable.
Candy: Pumpkin Spice M&Ms. They exist. In fact they made national news this year when they were announced in mid-September. Available exclusively at Target, there isn’t any actual pumpkin flavoring to them, just a cinnamon-flavored coating around a larger-than normal sized M&M body of chocolate.
Scent: Rarely do I ever step foot in a Bath & Body Works, but when I do, it’s to get my hands on a few pumpkin-scented hand soaps to stock up on for the year. My mother actually purchased my first one for me this year, and it’s already become my favorite: Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin. Because who doesn’t like the combo of cinnamon and pumpkin? It says, “I’m sweet but I’ve got some kick.”
USA Today reported that “pumpkin-flavored everything” raked in over $290 million in sales in 2012 and is on track to exceed that this year. I say it’s a positive trend because it has already established a steadily-increasing market for the product, and it’s also just downright delicious and I don’t want it going anywhere any time soon.
The time is now, though, to enjoy these pumpkin products. In just a little over a month, pumpkin will be replaced – replaced by peppermint.
Brooke is a junior majoring in journalism and her interests lie primarily in international affairs and affordable fashion. She is fluent in sarcasm and always looks at every glass half-full.