Atlantic Sun women’s college basketball is back

The 2015-16 Atlantic Sun women’s basketball season is officially underway as of Friday, Nov. 13.
UNF will kick off the A-Sun women’s basketball season with an afternoon game against UNKC.
This weekend marks the A-Sun’s 31st anniversary.
The Atlantic Sun Conference, headquartered in Macon, Georgia, is an NCAA Division I league with eight member institutions.
The A-Sun includes both private and public east coast regional institutions, including Florida Gulf Coast University, Jacksonville University, Kennesaw State University, Lipscomb University, University of North Florida, University of South Carolina Upstate, Stetson University and recent newcomer New Jersey Institute of Technology.
The conference has been active leading up to tip off, taking preseason polls and granting preseason honors and awards. FGCU swept the women’s polls, awards and honors.
The FGCU women’s basketball team ranked No. 22 in espnW’s NCAA 2015-16 Preseason Poll and first in the A-Sun media and coach’s polls.
FGCU’s senior forward, Whitney Knight, was picked by the league’s head coaches to repeat as A-Sun Player of the Year. Knight become the fifth player in conference history to repeat as Player of the Year.
Kaneisha Atwater was selected as the Preseason Defensive Player of the Year. The senior had 58 steals last season, third most in the conference and helped the Eagles to the regular season and tournament titles.
Last season, FGCU earned the conference’s first NCAA Tournament victory since 1998, while also tying the league’s highest-ever seeding at No. 7.
The kick off weekend is scheduled as follows: ­
Friday, Nov. 13th Schedule
North Florida at UMKC – 2 p.m. – UMKC.TV
FGCU at North Carolina A&T – 5:30 p.m. –
USC Upstate at Norfolk St. – 6 p.m. –
Jacksonville at South Florida – 6 p.m. –
Georgia State at Kennesaw State – 7 p.m. – ESPN3
Loyola (Md.) at Lipscomb – 6:30 p.m. CT – ESPN3
Saturday, Nov. 14th Schedule
Trinity Baptist at Stetson – 10:15 a.m.
Sunday, Nov. 15th Schedule
USC Upstate at Maryland Eastern-Shore – 2 p.m.
Stetson at Georgia – 2 p.m.
Lipscomb at Georgia Southern – 2p.m.