House passes bill to halt Syrian and Iraqi refugee program

The House passed a bill on Thursday that would bring the Syrian and Iraqi refugee program to a halt.
The 289 vote majority could also possibly override the veto President Barack Obama promised. Within the 289 votes, 47 Democrats voted in favor of the bill.
Despite the support in the House, there are concerns from other parties.
FBI Director James Comey told CNN he has concerns that the bill will make it impossible to allow any refugees into the U.S. and could also affect travelers from three dozen other countries that use the visa waiver program.
To calm concerns about foreigners entering the U.S., Comey told officials he believes the FBI, with the help of other agencies, has an effective method to conduct vetting of refugees.
In the Senate, Minority Leader Harry Reid said Democrats would try to block the bill, according to CNN. Reid seemed to suggest the 46 Democratic seats will vote against the bill, not allowing it to receive the 60 votes the bill needs to proceed.
According to CNN, Senate Democrats support two measures in response to the events in Paris. One would prevent people who have traveled to Syria or Iraq in the last five years from entering the U.S. and the other would deny the purchase of guns or explosives to those on the terrorism watch list.
The bill has caused a flurry of emotions but has passed the first step in the House. The next step will take place in the Senate.